Mixing Paint

freedhardwoods

Nice rig.  I don't keep 5 gallon buckets sitting around long enough to need shaking up again.  I did buy one 5 gallon bucket of Duration off CL.  I took that back to Sherwin-Williams, and they shook it up for me right before I needed to use it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wimayo said:

I fail to see $300 worth of advantage over a simple egg beater type attachment on an electric drill. Sorry.

This could put a lot of air bubbles in the paint that you don't want.

Pro painters use a technique called boxing paint You have a 5 gal bucket of paint and pour that into another 5 gal bucket than pour back into the first bucket etc. until your satisfied the paint is mixed to your liking. I'm sure it would work for smaller quantities but, I've only used it in 5 gal once you've poured the paint into the last bucket I used the brush I was going to cut in with to get everything out of the empty bucket, I pour it fairly rapidly so the paint solidify's try it you'll like it. 

• Like 2

I think I mis-titled my post. We only use lacquer to paint cabinets. We don't mix colors. We just wanted something to re-suspend the 3/4" of solids/sludge after a can sits for a while. Doing that by hand was a royal pain, not to mention the shop time it was wasting. At $50/hr, that adds up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, freedhardwoods said:

I think I mis-titled my post. We only use lacquer to paint cabinets. We don't mix colors. We just wanted something to re-suspend the 3/4" of solids/sludge after a can sits for a while. Doing that by hand was a royal pain, not to mention the shop time it was wasting. At $50/hr, that adds up.

Makes sense.  I knew there was a good reason for it.

19 hours ago, Chet said:

This could put a lot of air bubbles in the paint that you don't want.

13 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

The slow rotation of the mixer seems like it would do a nicer job of stirring, without adding bubbles, than a shaker or blender would. 

We use a pressure pot on our spray system. No bubbles in the line yet (after getting the line filled from a new batch).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...