Home Irrigation Controllers

Chestnut

Any one have any experience with in ground irrigation controllers? The one i have is acting up and is watering when it is turned off.

I like the Toro models and have my eye on the Toro Evolution. I have 9 zones so most of the cheap residential ones don't work as they cap out at 8 zones.

How odd that you should post this now. I put my controller back up on the wall after they finished up the stucco and now it won't turn on. I'm getting 24V but none to the display or switching. I suspect it's in the ribbon cable. I've never liked that controller so I'll be watching this thread carefully.

49 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Mines a Rainbird 15 years old no issues but I would really like a wifi controller :)  

I'm on the fence about wifi control. The battle is it'd be nice but there are maybe 1 to 2 times a year i even think about turning on the sprinkler when I'm not home vs creating a 2nd network so IoT devices aren't on my regular network for security reasons.

I don't run an automated system and run it manually. BUT the toro one i referenced has the ability to set up multiple schedules where i could run like 2 of my 9 zones and then only trigger the other 7 manually as needed. It also can have wifi functionaility with an added module.

48 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I'm on the fence about wifi control. The battle is it'd be nice but there are maybe 1 to 2 times a year i even think about turning on the sprinkler when I'm not home vs creating a 2nd network so IoT devices aren't on my regular network for security reasons.

I don't run an automated system and run it manually. BUT the toro one i referenced has the ability to set up multiple schedules where i could run like 2 of my 9 zones and then only trigger the other 7 manually as needed. It also can have wifi functionaility with an added module.

Mine is actually mounted in a closet in the shop so wifi would allow me to set/change/start it from the house, which would be nice. I would also like one that would allow me to run two schedules as 4 of my 14 zones I need to run more then the other 10 due to full sun vs shade. My current model does not allow that.

4 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Mine is actually mounted in a closet in the shop so wifi would allow me to set/change/start it from the house, which would be nice. I would also like one that would allow me to run two schedules as 4 of my 14 zones I need to run more then the other 10 due to full sun vs shade. My current model does not allow that.

Yeah that's where i'm at with my Current unit as well. I would only need to really schedule 2 of my 9 and the others could just run as needed. It takes about 10 days of zero rain for my heavily shaded yard to dry.

I'm going to talk to MTI distributors today and see if they sell units to the public as they have a Toro Unit that does what we need. Otherwise the Hunter Pro-HC unit i think covers what wee need and my boss uses it for our work lot and he likes it. Or yo umight nee dthe Hunter HPC modular unit or the HCC.

19 minutes ago, Mick S said:

Sometimes I amaze myself with the wealth of accumulated knowledge I've managed to pick up over the years. Take electrical expertise for example. I was able to determine, after only about 2 ½ hours of tinkering with the controller that the 9V backup battery was dead. 

And so goes 2020.

:D I was having trouble with mine about a month back where zone one would go but that was it, turned out I had programmed a 4 hour delay between zones....

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Mick S said:

Sometimes I amaze myself with the wealth of accumulated knowledge I've managed to pick up over the years. Take electrical expertise for example. I was able to determine, after only about 2 ½ hours of tinkering with the controller that the 9V backup battery was dead. 

And so goes 2020.

I tried replacing my battery to see if that solved the issue... No luck. Good suggestion though.

I never knew anything about sprinkler systems, but have been doing a little research, thinking about putting in a system on the point.   One step led to another, and the steps took me to golf course setups.

I have an unlimited supply of water, by pulling it out of the lake.  The only real limitation is single phase current, and the amount of power I'm going to run down there.  That led me to 5hp single phase submersible pumps, which will move a Lot of water will little head.  The expense gets out of control when the rest of the system gets built to take care of that much water.

The golf course sprinkler heads cost $417 a piece, and not only 2" pipe, but wires need to be run to each head.  Pretty cool though.

https://www.rainbird.com/golf/products/Integrated-Course-Control

• Like 1