difalkner

Audiophile audio rack

Touch base with him for his preferences.  Audio units I have built either include rollers so that the whole rig can swing away from the wall or flat "pullouts" that allow access to the connections on the equipment.  If he already has fans setup to move air around his Mac you may be able to integrate fastening locations for him.  Your nice open design will help avoid heat build up.

• Like 2

It may not seem like much progress but I have now cut to length and planed all of the Hard Rock Maple, straight lined the edges of all boards on the tablesaw, and run every edge on the jointer.  These boards are heavy and I'm worn out!! LOL!

Running the Curly Maple on the jointer was a bit iffy since I have straight blades but they are razor sharp and I took very light passes.  The edges came out very clean with very minor tear out in a couple of places but they're in the middle of the edge so it's not going to be an issue.  I considered getting a Shelix head for the jointer - PM 54A - but since this worked I'll do that upgrade later (maybe).

I have another project I need to move to this afternoon and that may prevent me from gluing these boards today to get the 23" width but they're ready for that step.

1069505573_006-Planedrippedjointedreadyforgluing.thumb.JPG.6d28e6fd1cec14361da4dc8701e62a10.JPG

1869933857_007-CurlyMapleedges.thumb.JPG.890d20c41bcde3f6f390d06cbe056955.JPG

More later!
David

• Like 2

Isn't it, though!  Actually, they're all spectacular but the light wasn't right for the top board and I was tired of moving them around. :lol:

David

• Like 1

I have no experience with a helical head, but have read plenty of others'experience. Don't expect a no-tearout result just from switching heads. I've had success reducing tearout by wetting the surface just prior to jointing or planing.

• Like 2

If I can reduce it (substantially) then that's really going to help.  I can work around minor tear out in the finishing process but these are relative craters as it stands now.

I'd hate to wet the wood and introduce an opportunity for rust on my jointer.  I spent several days removing rust from this jointer when I bought it and don't want to do that again. ;)

David

The knives are razor sharp, might have seen five linear feet of Walnut face grain.  The faces of each board were planed with a segmented cutterhead so they're all good, but I have to joint the edges and if this was just a glue joint they would be fine as is. But this is the front edge and is the 'show' edge top shelf of the audio rack.  It has to be as perfect as it can be. 

When I initially ran these across the jointer I spot checked each board and about 90% of the edge is good, I should've looked closer at each edge.  But there are a few areas where I got the tear out and I need that to go away.

David

You will be very happy with the Shelix head.  I have replaced both my jointer and planer heads.  While I do get some minor tear out with curly maple, it is greatly reduced.  I get no tear out with other figured/squirrely wood. 

• Like 1