Table saw blade hard to raise

Sussertown

2 hours ago, Herman Susser said:

I have a steelcity cabinet saw. Unless I constantly blow it out and lubricate it, the blade becomes difficult to raise.

upgradedwd40

a large cyclone.

this captcha is the worst form of security on the market. I constantly make mistakes. Sometimes I cant see the picture. Is rubber from a wheel in a frame a motorcycle? There are much simpler methods of verification but I'm sure you're way smarter then me, administrator.

Oily lubes tend to attract dust on the screws and trunions. Dry graphite lube is less likely to cause this problem. If your saw supports DC at the blade shroud (assuming it has one) there will be much less dust collecting around the mechanism. Many saw designs can be modified to use a shroud around the lower half of the blade, even if it isn't factory equipment.

After asking I googled it and got the full gamut. Everything from absolutely no silicon to 100% silicon. From white lithium to axle grease (Stubby). Paste wax to it doesn’t last long. No one mentioned WD40 so I guess I’ve been in left field for a long time. 

WD40 is not the right product to use. 

I went to SawStop tech support with the question & was told that wheel bearing grease is the stuff to use. I was specifically warned not to use any dry lube. Explanation was that while the dry lube does make the parts move easily, it does not provide the high pressure lubrication that keeps parts from wearing out. I know lots of people use dry lube & like it, but I'm just reporting what I've learned from people who probably know the subject well.

As for oily/greasy lubes attracting dust, sure they do. But that doesn't have to be an issue. A couple of time a year, I'll blow accumulated dust gunk off the greasy parts & carry on. It still raises, lowers and tilts as easily as when I bought it. Takes only a couple of minutes. The saw is      5 years old & this fall I will do a thorough cleaning & greasing.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sussertown said:

upgradedwd40

a large cyclone.

this captcha is the worst form of security on the market. I constantly make mistakes. Sometimes I cant see the picture. Is rubber from a wheel in a frame a motorcycle? There are much simpler methods of verification but I'm sure you're way smarter then me, administrator.

WD-40 turns to goo over time but, not the time frame I think you are talking about.  Your dust collection should be good so I have to suspect that the lubricant is capturing spoil(?).  You could certainly clean everything off and apply a light coat of a dry lube just to see if the problem goes away.  If this proves to be a cure I have been using the Teflon dry spray lube similar to what Just Bob shows.  It may be the same product.  It lasts so long the labeling may have changed twice wince I bought it last. :lol:  I use it on router lift chains/posts and other places that metal on metal needs a bit of non-spoil collecting lube.

5 hours ago, drzaius said:

WD40 is not the right product to use. 

I went to SawStop tech support with the question & was told that wheel bearing grease is the stuff to use. I was specifically warned not to use any dry lube. Explanation was that while the dry lube does make the parts move easily, it does not provide the high pressure lubrication that keeps parts from wearing out. I know lots of people use dry lube & like it, but I'm just reporting what I've learned from people who probably know the subject well.

As for oily/greasy lubes attracting dust, sure they do. But that doesn't have to be an issue. A couple of time a year, I'll blow accumulated dust gunk off the greasy parts & carry on. It still raises, lowers and tilts as easily as when I bought it. Takes only a couple of minutes. The saw is      5 years old & this fall I will do a thorough cleaning & greasing.

Did they mention a particular product or is wheel bearing grease a fairly specfic thing to ask for at ye old hardware store?