Mid Century Modern Couch, Draper inspired

Bmac

I'm going to be very interested in this and will follow closely. I wanted to build a couch in the Morris char design and got the same argument from the wife about comfort. I told her I'd have some sort of contoured cushion over the arm and you'd never know the difference but she is still very skeptical.

I like the design work so far and keeping the lines clean and 90 goes a long way for a successful project. Nice work as always!

Was the baseball season successful?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Nice! I'll be curious to see if the back is stiff enough in two pieces like that. Will the bottom be two pieces as well? 

Yes, that is a concern I've considered. I do think though that it should be fine as I'm going to have a large glue surface with the back frame. Also I plan to make the seat or bottom in one piece. This one piece will be glued/secured to the back supports and the front supports, this will add the some rigidity. I also will look to secure the seat frame to the sides of the sofa, likely through some cleats attached to the sides which I'll place under the seat frame. If I can accomplish these things then I'm not too worried.

Also as I start to move to those steps I'd love feedback from anyone that has some different ideas about rigidity. I've consider corner cleats also in all 8 corners to support the seat frame and add rigidity.

I'll have more pictures later today which may allow you to be able to see what I am trying to describe above.

• Thanks 1

I think the stiffness will be fine. The back is goign to prevent the rear of the couch from sagging, Having a leg in the front will go a long way in keeping the seat stuff. The top of the back rest may have some flex but I'd bet it won't be very noticeable. Probably less noticeable than the amount of flex in the cheap furniture that they sell in the furniture stores.

Structurally you really don't need the middle rear leg. The back rest is goign to provide a TON of vertical stiffness. I think it was smart orienting the joinery the way you did for the back rests as well. The lower pieces will be end grain to the sides and middle leg assemblies, will you be using floating M&T there (dominoes?)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bmac said:

Yes, that is a concern I've considered. I do think though that it should be fine as I'm going to have a large glue surface with the back frame. Also I plan to make the seat or bottom in one piece. This one piece will be glued/secured to the back supports and the front supports, this will add the some rigidity. I also will look to secure the seat frame to the sides of the sofa, likely through some cleats attached to the sides which I'll place under the seat frame. If I can accomplish these things then I'm not too worried.

Also as I start to move to those steps I'd love feedback from anyone that has some different ideas about rigidity. I've consider corner cleats also in all 8 corners to support the seat frame and add rigidity.

I'll have more pictures later today which may allow you to be able to see what I am trying to describe above.

Thanks! I think the one piece bottom is a good idea should make the two piece back a non issue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...