which woodworking router is best?

• Triton TRA001 2400w Dual-Mode Precision Plunge Router. Best wood router. ...
  • Festool OF 1400 EBQ-Plus GB 1400w Router. Best high-end router – the pinnacle of power tools! ...
  • Bosch POF 1200 AE Electric 1200W Router. ...
  • Makita 1/4 inch Router. ...
  • DeWalt DW625EK-GB 2000W Router.

Which One would prefer? 

I dipped my toe in the Milwaukee router pond 15 years or so ago.  With the exception of a few Bosch Colts which have had the bearings replaced along the way, all my other routers have died or been sent down the road.  The half a dozen Milwaukees in the 5600 series variations just keep going. From the models you list I assume you are not in the USA(?).

Having both the small Makita and the DeWalt 625 in the same group makes your list a little confusing.  Routers are general purpose tools until they are not :).  That is, a good combo set will do most of the things you run across in a furniture shop.  Beefy table routers and small one-handed routers do some of those jobs better.

• Like 1

Buy one and then just keep going down the list. :D It's nice having multiple routers. I have a few of the $60 box store brand trim routres and use them the most, I even have a $40 router and it gets work done. I keep an edge profile bit mounted so i just have to plug in and go.

There are very few tasks that I do in my shop that I need a 1400w or larger router. I have 2 Porter cable 890 routers and the Festool 1400. Honestly the Festool isn't' worth it. Save your money for more tools.

• Like 1

While my Festool routers are by far my best I agree with @Chestnut they are not worth it if your still amassing your tool kit. I have a PC in the fixed router table about a dozen palm routers mostly Bosch Colts bought off of CL for $40 or less. I also have two of the Makita Battery version palm routers that I really like. And yes I know I have a bit of a router problem but there could be worse vices :D

• Haha 1

I agree with Gee-Dub. I have had Makita, Craftsman, Milwaukee, Bosch and Porter Cable. Nowdays, I use a Milwaukee 2 hp combo set with fixed and plunge bases for everything except edging. I have the big 3hp Milwaukee in my router in table. I love them. Smooth, powerful. The electronics do a great job of regulating speed. Soft start. And you can mount them in a router table without popping for a lift - it comes with a wrench that allows through the table adjustment.

A Bosch Colt handles the small stuff, but I am thinking about replacing it as I find the adjustments klutzy. 

• Like 1