Interior Barn Door

Jonathan McCully

I really like the adjusted design, so I'll agree good save.

I adjust my design to fit the lumber i have on hand quite often. In your case it's due to a miscalculation, i have to admit I've done the same miscalculation MANY times. Mine is most often cutting a piece an inch short. I"ll measure 27 - 7/8 and cut at 26 - 7/8 because for some reason my brain thinks it's too difficult to move my hand the extra inch tot the right measurement.

I really appreciate the encouragement from you all regarding my error. I often have the tendency to really beat myself up when it comes to some of these errors, particularly if it results in having to spend additional money on a project. It’s nice to know that I’ll not the only one who makes them, and hopefully, I’ll learn and not make them again.

1 hour ago, Coop said:

Jonathan, will the diagonal pieces overlay the panel boards or are they the same thickness as your two center rails? 

The diagonals will overly the panel boards on one side. They are just decorative, not structural. I was planning to just join them to the rails with dominos.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

Good point.  The diagonals will have to be much thinner stock than the cross pieces or they will stand proud.  

Are you going to put diagonal on the inside of the door, as well?  

I had initially planned to put a diagonal on the inside as well, but scrapped that so that the panels and outer diagonal could be a bit larger. My final thickness for the frame came out to 1 1/4,” so I’m planning 5/8” for the panel boards with 1/2” for the diagonal. That will allow the panels to be inset 1/8” on the inside face of the door rather than being flush with the frame.

• Like 1

Have you decided how you will treat the edge of your panel boards. Tongue and groove, ship lap, etc.? 

Also, how will you attach the diagonal boards? I was thinking maybe using 1/4” - 3/8” dowels of a contrasting color like walnut or maybe even stick with cherry? 

27 minutes ago, Coop said:

Have you decided how you will treat the edge of your panel boards. Tongue and groove, ship lap, etc.? 

Also, how will you attach the diagonal boards? I was thinking maybe using 1/4” - 3/8” dowels of a contrasting color like walnut or maybe even stick with cherry? 

Planning to tongue and groove the panel boards and will domino them into the stiles. 

Haven’t made any decisions on the diagonals yet. I hadn’t thought of doing a dowel into the panel board with a contrasting color. This comment actually reminds me that you’d mentioned doing a dowel through my half-laps in the corners in a contrasting wood color. I think I’d prefer to do the dowel there as that would be symmetrical on both sides of the door, whereas a dowel through the diagonals would show up as a random dot in the panel on the backside, unless I decided to cut it short. May still do a dowel through the end of the diagonal into the rail or stile to join that into the frame, but that wouldn’t be visible. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...