Making "Dreamery"

Mark J

Outstanding documentary, Mark!

I must take exception to the comment about finding a use for any tool if it is kept long enough. Or perhaps a corallory to that proposition. In my experience, the PERFECT use for any such tool is only discovered during the first 72 hours after said tool is no longer in my posession.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent job, excellent journal!

As you described the difficult of getting a firm grip from inside the basin rim without splitting it apart, I wondered if a wide rubber band stretched around the chuck jaws would have provided some extra grip while cushioning at the same time. Beware, I know absolutely nothing about turning.

• Thanks 1

You guys are speed readers; I just added that long post.  

@wtnhighlander, I'm not sure sure exactly what you mean about putting a rubber band around the Cole Jaws' buttons?  The buttons are already made of rubber.  Also know that the buttons are narrower at the bottom than the top so they tend to pull the piece down against the jaws.  They are capable of applying significant force, the problem here is that the basin can only take so much spreading force without breaking.  

That said I have used a rubber band wrapped around the outside of the steel jaws of a regular chuck, then used that in expansion on a finished rim.  Works well, if the rim is small enough to fit on the chuck.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Gary Beasley said:

I have made an alternate set of bumpers out of crutch tips on mine when I wanted bigger grips. The longer bolts need were easy to find. Worked pretty good.

Since crutch tips are hollow, did you need to do anything to keep them from collapsing when you tightened the bolt?

• Mark J changed the title to Making "Dreamery"