Moxon vise hardware kit

G Ragatz

I'd like to build a Moxon type vise, and I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for a good hardware kit?  The Benchcrafted kit is a little too pricey.  I think the Wood River kit, at $100, is probably the top of my price range.  I've looked at a kit from Taylor Tools and also one from Tools for Working Wood that are both comfortably within my budget.  There's also one from Katz-Moses, but my experience with them is very limited (nothing negative - just not much experience).  I read @derekcohen's post on The Last Moxon Dovetail Vise, and he mentions hardware from "Tom Bussey," but I haven't been able to find any information on that.

Also, I'm leaning toward a bench-on-bench design - any down-side to that, other than requiring a little more space?

Thanks.

I like the tools for working wood version. The screws don't stick out the front giving a bit more clearance than the other options.

I also like the the hardware looks a bit lighter if you are goign to do the bench on bench design. I thing the only downside there is lifting it onto your bench.

I just made 8 dovetail drawers and I really could have used a moxon. It's tempting to buy the tools for working wood kit right now for future use.

On 2/16/2022 at 1:35 PM, G Ragatz said:

I read @derekcohen's post on The Last Moxon Dovetail Vise, and he mentions hardware from "Tom Bussey," but I haven't been able to find any information on that

Derek lives in Perth, Australia and the company he mentioned may be available to that part of the world only.  But I am just guessing.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 12:54 PM, Chet said:

Derek lives in Perth, Australia and the company he mentioned may be available to that part of the world only.  But I am just guessing.

I order tools from Australia a couple times a year. The shipping can be steep, ie. $25, but they arive at my doorstep faster than most things ordered from the west coast US. The orders from AU get air shipped to NYC, then it's just a skip, hop, hop, jump to my house :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Has anyone built a benchtop mounted Moxon-style vise with the screw handles turned out the back? Seems just as convenient to operate, and a lot more convenient to use for close up work.

I want to really bad. Want to buy that hardware and send it to my house. I'll throw one together and tell you how it works. :D

• Haha 1

On 2/17/2022 at 8:00 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Has anyone built a benchtop mounted Moxon-style vise with the screw handles turned out the back? Seems just as convenient to operate, and a lot more convenient to use for close up work.

Seems like that would work for the kits that use a wheel to turn the screws. Not sure how well it would work with the TFWW kit, which has longer handles - I think there would be interference with the benchtop.

Thanks to all for your thoughts. I believe I'm going to order the TFWW kit and probably build a configuration like they show on their web site, with a short ledge behind the rear jaw instead of a full bench-on-bench design.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 9:54 AM, Chet said:

Tom is a member on woodnet and goes by TablesawTom.  He's a former machinist I believe and sells the moxon kit on their classifieds section.

Old post.

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7361263&highlight=moxon

21 minutes ago, G Ragatz said:

Thanks to all for your thoughts. I believe I'm going to order the TFWW kit and probably build a configuration like they show on their web site, with a short ledge behind the rear jaw instead of a full bench-on-bench design.

Post your build and thoguhts if you don't mind. I'm inches away from pulling the trigger on this myself.

Maybe I'll add it to my gift list.... see if i can get it as a birthday gift.

On 2/18/2022 at 11:16 AM, jussi said:

Tom is a member on woodnet and goes by TablesawTom.  He's a former machinist I believe and sells the moxon kit on their classifieds section.

Old post.

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7361263&highlight=moxon

Thanks for that info - will file away for future reference.

On 2/18/2022 at 11:20 AM, Chestnut said:

Post your build and thoguhts if you don't mind. I'm inches away from pulling the trigger on this myself.

Maybe I'll add it to my gift list.... see if i can get it as a birthday gift.

Will do.  It will be a couple months - SWMBO is forcing me to avoid the Michigan winter for another three weeks. :P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G Ragatz said:

Will do.  It will be a couple months - SWMBO is forcing me to avoid the Michigan winter for another three weeks. :P

Nice well enjoy tropical weather. I'm still at the age where I enjoy winter. We only got 24-20" of snow this winter so far and it's not nearly enough.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2022 at 10:26 AM, Chestnut said:

Nice well enjoy tropical weather. I'm still at the age where I enjoy winter. We only got 24-20" of snow this winter so far and it's not nearly enough.

Obviously our winters aren’t nearly as severe as y’all’s but I remember frost forming on my beard as we drove down the canals in a John boat and breaking thin ice to set out duck decoys. I guess age does have something to do with it as I don’t dislike those ducks nearly as much as I use to. ;)

• 3 months later...

I wanted wooden screws and a few years ago I bought the Acer-Ferrous Toolworks set (two screws, two nuts) from either Red Rose Reproductions or Highland Woodworking.  I've been very pleased with the quality.  Think I paid $89 plus shipping.

• Like 2