Dust collection data from my shop

drzaius

Very interesting indeed. 

My company (before I sold it), installed and serviced fire protection systems in the vent hoods in restaurants. I never solicited the business of my favorite restaurants as I really didn’t want to see where my food was cooked! :huh:

By the same token, I probably don’t want to know the quality of the air in my shop.:D

I do however, have a decent dc system and a Jet air filtration system and all doors are open in my shop most of the year when I’m working. 

• Like 1

Coop shared some data from his DC system upgrade Frank. I'm not sure if you saw it. His data made me realize there can be a lot of gains by just adjusting flex hose.

https://www.woodtalkonline.com/topic/32752-more-dc-systems/?do=findComment&comment=439190

Your data is also interesting. The small particles are probably the ones to worry about as well. I find these types of measurements interesting. I've considered a meter multiple times but they just seem a bit too expensive.

11 hours ago, drzaius said:

Even though I couldn't see any dust coming off the saw, the .3 micron count was north of 65,000! That was completely shocking.

Maybe put on an N95 or P100 mask for those operations?

A couple of my turning club buddies got meters and saw similar results with their lathes.  What meter did you buy?

I kinda echo Coop, but I'm tempted to look.  Thing is I'm already doing what I can to mitigate dust.  I have a powered room air filter (the Jet), a 3 HP DC with a duct & hood at the lathe, and I wear a powered air purifying respirator.  In the summer I have windows open and an exhaust fan which I use instead of the room air filter.  

I'm sure there's excess dust in the air, I don't know there's much more I can do about it.

Really curious what meter you got. I just picked up an air filter and will use it in the shop. I wear a respirator the entire time I'm in the shop as my Jet 650 from the 90's seems to just spread dust. I've put off buying one for the expense and knowing that it will probably end up with me buying a better dust collector and adding a subpanel.

I'd really like to know how it changes the air in the rest of my house too.

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Your data is also interesting. The small particles are probably the ones to worry about as well. I find these types of measurements interesting. I've considered a meter multiple times but they just seem a bit too expensive.

This guy is cheap & well regarded. You have to provide a USB supply or battery. I Velcro'd a battery to the back of mine to make it easy to take around the shop.

Particle counter

• Like 2

Another thing that surprised me was how long it took to clean the air up. It took at least 20 minutes of running a 5 HP blower to do it. Sure doesn't take that long to get it dirty. But it's very cool to be able to do so much without having to wear a respirator and know that I'm breathing clean air.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Which one?  I am very interested, and need to buy one.

Me too. Since the covid I've had facial hair that interferes some with a good seal. Why bother to shave, since the world is clearly going to blow up any  day? :(

On 3/15/2022 at 4:29 PM, Mark J said:

@Just Bob& @drzaius

It's from Sundstrom.  Filter unit is SR 500, my helmut is SR 540, but that has been replaced by a new version.  Try Woodturner's Wonders for more info, but I warn you,  I spent a grand on it 3 years ago, it will be north of that now.

I went to a Woodworking show here in Houston about 6 months ago and don’t remember the name but they had a full head cover with a clear shield that had a fan blower to provide positive air pressure inside. It was like 1k. I decided to keep my term life insurance in effect for another 3 years. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, drzaius said:

This guy is cheap & well regarded. You have to provide a USB supply or battery. I Velcro'd a battery to the back of mine to make it easy to take around the shop.

Particle counter

Thanks for the link, I ordered one yesterday. If it wasn't from a recommendation I'd find that site a bit on the sketchy side. The price is right and I've always been curious about shop air conditions. On the page it says it can detect VOCs have you ever experimented with that? I've also been curious how running our range effects indoor air quality. I guess it seems like it just counts particles at that size and doesn't differentiate between non-volitle particles and VOC particles. That should be easy enough to determine, am I spraying finish or cutting wood...

20 hours ago, Mark J said:

@Just Bob& @drzaius

It's from Sundstrom.  Filter unit is SR 500, my helmut is SR 540, but that has been replaced by a new version.  Try Woodturner's Wonders for more info, but I warn you,  I spent a grand on it 3 years ago, it will be north of that now.

Thanks I will check it out.  I know they are expensive.   Last October I made a sculpted chair that required a lot of grinding/sanding etc....  I thought I was being careful with the dust, and my face mask was adequate.  I spent November in the hospital with aspiration pneumonia, and December getting daily antibiotic  infusions.  I will spend the money on a respirator.....

• Sad 4

On 3/16/2022 at 1:54 PM, Just Bob said:

Thanks I will check it out.  I know they are expensive.   Last October I made a sculpted chair that required a lot of grinding/sanding etc....  I thought I was being careful with the dust, and my face mask was adequate.  I spent November in the hospital with aspiration pneumonia, and December getting daily antibiotic  infusions.  I will spend the money on a respirator.....

What face mask were you wearing? Was it the 3M one with the pink filters or a bandana? The aspiration pneumonia was caused from all the sawdust?

I don't mean any of that in a mean or accusatory way. I'm just trying to understand better so it doesn't happen to me. I hope you're doing better!

• Thanks 1

If I'm making dust, I'm wearing a supplied air hood.  I have been for over 30 years.  At first I cobbled up something that would work with the disposable Tyvek hoods.  In really hot weather, a small 120v air conditioner can supply 2 hoods, and Tyvek coveralls.  The last hoods I bought were around $25.  They're reusable many times.   Since then, I've found a real air pump.

This picture shows one hood hanging on the sawhorse.  You wear a belt to keep the hood from blowing off your head, and to tail the hose for you.  There is plenty of room to move around for anything we need to sand.

Zero dust enters your nose or mouth.

Edited to add:   Like everything else, they've gone up some.  This setup includes the belt, and hose that goes from the belt to the hood.  You can buy just the hoods.  I keep several of the replacement hoods on hand.   https://www.coleparmer.com/i/allegro-9910-replacement-tyvek-hood-for-supplied-air-systems/8152021?PubID=UX&persist=true&ip=no&gclid=CjwKCAjwlcaRBhBYEiwAK341jdlZxhXZpmyeOBcS_5a9wYw3PXejyk1YnGnRS9CbHb9E2nwJ8Vn82xoCKioQAvD_BwE

IMG_3740.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

What face mask were you wearing? Was it the 3M one with the pink filters or a bandana? The aspiration pneumonia was caused from all the sawdust?

I don't mean any of that in a mean or accusatory way. I'm just trying to understand better so it doesn't happen to me. I hope you're doing better!

While I was working in my shop I have a 3M respirator that I wear.  But we had a couple of nice days in late Oct and I took the chair outside to shape.  I was stupid and did not wear any protection while working outside, thinking the breeze would be enough.  I am recovering but it has been a long haul.  Apparently at 70 it aint as easy 20 was.   I need a full face respirator because I now wear glasses and I need eye protection too.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2022 at 4:36 PM, Just Bob said:

While I was working in my shop I have a 3M respirator that I wear.  But we had a couple of nice days in late Oct and I took the chair outside to shape.  I was stupid and did not wear any protection while working outside, thinking the breeze would be enough.  I am recovering but it has been a long haul.  Apparently at 70 it aint as easy 20 was.   I need a full face respirator because I now wear glasses and I need eye protection too.

Oh okay. I guess you needed a stronger breeze. Thanks for sharing. I probably would have done the same thing.

On 3/16/2022 at 1:45 PM, legenddc said:

Oh okay. I guess you needed a stronger breeze. Thanks for sharing. I probably would have done the same thing.

I'm not always good about it, but I try and live by "if I can smell the work I'm doing I should be wearing a respirator".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BonPacific said:

I'm not always good about it, but I try and live by "if I can smell the work I'm doing I should be wearing a respirator".

That hit home the other day when I was using the sled. I noticed right away that even though I saw no dust, the smell of white oak filled the air right away. I'd been cutting with the guard in place just previously & there was no smell at all that I could notice.

At least it's nice smell, one of my favorite smelling woods.

• Like 2