Hinge Lid Boxes

gee-dub

On 4/27/2022 at 3:55 PM, gee-dub said:

I use this small diameter slot cutter from Lee Valley to cut the grooves for the floating tops and bottoms.

Did you just put the box together and move free hand on the table letting the bearing on the bit guide you to cut the slot?  I have been looking at a router table and this operation plus how you put that profile on the lids both look like they can go on the pros side of getting the table for My router. 

12 hours ago, gee-dub said:

As I am done with a rag, pad, or a paper towel I just toss them in the water.

I've always wondered about this.  How does one eventually dispose of the waterlogged and oily rags?  Once the water evaporates aren't you back to an oily rag?  I always lay mine out flat to dry, but then we're only talking one or two small rags.  

On 5/11/2022 at 6:22 AM, Mark J said:

I've always wondered about this.  How does one eventually dispose of the waterlogged and oily rags?  Once the water evaporates aren't you back to an oily rag?  I always lay mine out flat to dry, but then we're only talking one or two small rags.  

They tend to stay in the bucket for a few days while I am finishing.  When done I do lay them out in the dirt to dry and then throw them away.  The bucket just gives me an easy, safe place for waste until I finish the process. A nine drawer dresser can go through a lot of waste with the flood/wipe, oil/varnish blend method.  For these little boxes it is not necessary as much as it is a habit :)

• Like 2

Just catching up on this.  Those are some really nice looking boxes.

This came just in time.  I am remaking a music box for my brother and his wife.  The movement is what is important to them, the box will be completely new. I want to use stop hinges for the lid but the only ones I had ever seen were the ones from Brusso.  I have used those a couple of times and like them but they would be to chunky for this project.  The ones you used here will be perfect.