New type of transportation

Tom King

One of my Scientist friends, actually the Son of my best friend who is also a scientist, has just changed jobs from working for NASA.  Anyway, there is a trail behind his house that goes to his new job 3/4 miles away.  He is riding one of these to work.  I didn't know there was such a thing.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 7:08 AM, Tom King said:

One of my Scientist friends, actually the Son of my best friend who is also a scientist, has just changed jobs from working for NASA.  Anyway, there is a trail behind his house that goes to his new job 3/4 miles away.  He is riding one of these to work.  I didn't know there was such a thing.

Who the hell is recording this? And, are they doing this trail backwards?

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 12:06 PM, RichardA said:

Who the hell is recording this? And, are they doing this trail backwards?

I think he's holding a selfie stick with his right hand. Since those action cameras cover a 360° view, the selfie stick can be removed during post processing of the video. And that's also the reason why he always appears perfectly centered on the video, it's all post processing and image stabilization during post processing. Yeah, post processing magic.

I saw my friend that has this last night.   He's not riding it to work yet, but is getting better on it.  I was asking him how you control speed.  He said the footrests are flexible, and you push down with your toes to go forward and control speed.  I'm not going to try it because I don't have a full face helmet, and don't want to share one.  He wears knee pads and wrist guards, and says you will hit the ground learning how to ride one.

• Like 1

Yep. Just like a unicycle or any of these new gyro controlled things (segway, “hoverboards”, OneWheel, etc), you have to lean past the balance point, then the wheel(s) accelerate to keep it under you. To stop you have to lean back and then the wheel(s) decelerate to keep it under you. Otherwise you end up on the ground. Once you gain the confidence to commit and trust it, you’re set. There are countless videos on youtube of people falling off things, and you’ll see that in nearly all of them, it’s their lack of commitment that takes them down.

Of course, the offroad aspect adds a layer of difficulty, but someone with other offroad riding experience would have a very quick learning curve. 

He sent me a video of him riding it.  His new job hasn't started yet, so that's the only reason he's not riding it to work.  He said it's not hard at all, once you get started moving, but the hard part is the initial getting it going.  Longest trip so far is about a mile, and sore muscles from being too tense, learning.