request for feedback on our VRBO attempt

Tom King

We decided to give VRBO a shot at getting rentals.  We've never done this before, so any feedback of what we could do better is much appreciated.  I really don't like this house much, but have put a good amount of effort into getting it to the point that we hope it can pay its own property tax bill.  Price is discounted to hopefully just get people in it.  It's a nice piece of property, but I still have a lot of work to do on it.

Here's the page.  I just uploaded a bunch of pictures we already had.  Some might be better left out, and some might be better taken a different way.

https://www.vrbo.com/1701335?adultsCount=8&arrival=2022-11-16&departure=2022-11-20

I just put it live a little while ago.

• Like 2

I was mainly asking about the presentation.  I'll see if maybe the Chamber of Commerce has a site about restaurants and such.  Not much for attractions other than the lake.  It's otherwise out in the middle of nowhere. 

I couldn't do much with the order of pictures.  Their software decided the order.  It didn't have anything to do with the order that I uploaded them.

In the About The Property section, I’d specifically say that it’s on Lake Gaston, and talk a bit about the land it’s on- direct access to the lake. Includes use of the point? Can they rent a boat at a nearby marina and use your dock? Are those canoes in the picture available for visitors to use? Fire pit available. Etc.

A few of the pictures are a bit redundant, but that’s probably better than leaving something out.

They typically load a non-precise map location, and only give the actual address in the days leading up to someone’s stay. 

• Like 1

Thanks.  All that was supposed to be entered in the "details" section.  I'm not sure why a lot of it got left out.  They also changed the name of the place, or really just left the name off.  We named it Sunset Point.  I'll check with them tomorrow.  It might just be screwed up since I entered it on the weekend.

Funny.  I hadn't put Lake Gaston anywhere on there.  Just did.  

This is supposed to be there.   Should I do this differently?

copied and pasted:

Large porch with grill,  2 acre point with over 1,000 feet shoreline. 4-1/2+ acres. Private beach for swimming with sand bottom.  Pontoon boat, and jet ski rentals available. Canoe,  Kayaks.   Large screen TV.  Wonderful view of main lake.  Well maintained state road with little traffic, great for walking, and bike riding.  Plenty of room for parking anything including a helicopter.  Garage.  RV hookup.  Owners live close by and always available.  Non-shedding small Pets okay on approval.  Handicap accessible with handicap bathroom. Fully supplied kitchen equipment. Dining room supplied for formal dining.  Stone fireplace with gas logs. Dining for 8 on lakeside porch.  Linens available. Real fire pit with firewood furnished and Adirondack chairs.  Puzzles,  board games, cornhole, crochet, noodle floats, ping pong table.  Dock with good ladder and boat tie-ups.   EV charging. Golf course, grocery store, and restaurants not far away.  Miles of trails and gentle petting animals within walking distance. Can drive anywhere on property, including all over the point and right to the waters edge at the beach.  Beautiful Sunsets!

Looks like you already had it covered!  Might be some delay in entering the info and it being publicly available. They might review manually before approving. 

Might want to list what type of EV charging plug is available. J1772, CCS, Tesla/NACS? Or 240v outlet- Which type? 

• 3 weeks later...

We hadn't heard a peep out of this since that day I first put the ad up, but woke up this morning with two bookings in Jan. and Feb.   I think it will go this Summer.

Friends were telling us that they had much better luck with AirBnb, so I put it up there too, but these bookings were from Vrbo.

Maybe it will pay for its property tax next year.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2022 at 2:30 PM, Chestnut said:

Not many people around here are thinking about lake front rentals.... i have a feeling that's most places during winter. Traffic should pick up in the spring.

1129221450-01.jpeg

OMG! Your poor tomato plants and that poor mail carrier! :wacko:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not worried about getting money for it.  Nothing was broken.  They just won't be accepted if they try booking again.  We do get to approve each one, and will only approve ones with good reviews on them.  Other people renting here on the lake that we know have not had this trouble.  One reason is probably that our rent is so low right now, at the suggestion of VRBO to get a few rentals in, but don't think that worked to our advantage this time.

The Foxes, Possums, and Raccoons probably had a good night.  There was two truckloads of trash to take out.  At least they brought, or bought enough trash bags to use after they had used up the box we left there.  I just burned it,  drug out all the food as the pile burned, probably 20 pounds of fried chicken bones, scraps and french fries, and left the food by the burn pile.   All the food got cleaned up last night, so they had a good Christmas too.

There are small children handprints all over the inside of the glass wall looking out over the lake.  My mister sprayer has been a big help in sanitizing everything, but it still all has to be wiped down.

Pam is getting it done one room at the time, and is making good progress.  I'm going to go over and clean up all the debris outside from the strong wind we had for several days, but Pam has to get satisfied with what she's doing in the house, and come stay with my Mom while I go to do my part.

The next renters aren't coming until mid day Friday, so it looks like we'll be ready.

• Like 1