Tablesaw Routine Maintenance Effort

gee-dub

@Coop I've tried a lot of lubes over the years including a dry Teflon spray.  This one seems to do the best job.  Almost any lube is going to gather spoil in a machine cabinet.  This stuff remains pretty soft and slick so it seems like crud doesn't get so built up.  It's hard to be very scientific when I only re-lube every few years :lol:.  I should have taken a pic after I had run the mechanism back and forth and wiped off the excess.  The pic with the green grease all over is a little misleading.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, drzaius said:

A SawStop tech told me to use marine wheel bearing grease. He was emphatic that dry lubricants should NOT be used because they don't have the high pressure lubrication that grease has.

+1

A little saw dust in the grease can't be so bad otherwise the makes of the saws would have put shields or boots on these parts to keep them clean.

7 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Lubricants like so many other things have specific uses.  @drzaius is right on the mark about dry lube characteristics.  I do just use a light machine oil on the wheel / handle bushings.  You should always follow the recommendations of the manufacturer when doing maintenance.

What makes dry lubes so insidious is that they lubricate to the point of making parts move easily, but any pressure points will wear prematurely. They do have their place, but it's not here.

I would second Billy Jack although it probably depends on the type of gears. I use a Teflon spray or, when I can’t find my can, some silicon spray. I like this because I can just use compressed air and a vacuum to quickly blow out, not only the gears but the entire tool. I usually do the blowout about once a month, sooner if heavy use. This also allows me to spot any maintenance issues and hit the pivot points. I don’t have the complicated setup and my saw is pretty easy to get to. Grease and sawdust is difficult to remove once dried, I have found. Nice shop, I’m envious!