Finish prep - unseen parts

legenddc

As I'm sanding my current project, I'm curious what you all do for finish prep on unseen parts of your projects? Do you sand/plane the tops of aprons before it's covered up by the table top? Sand the bottom of a lower shelf for a coffee table that will be 4" off the ground? Full sand or just enough to get any markings off?

I sand or plane tops of aprons enough to be sure the top sits evenly all around.  Underside of tops get enough sanding to put a coat or 2 of sealer or finihs on the underside of the top for balance and any of the undersides the people my touch to lift the piece gets a nice finish.  Bottom shelves - the same.   Insides of  panels (sides or back) get some sanding to allow for sealer - I use shellac there.

• Like 2

Most of my work gets hand planed all sides. I don't really do much finishing beyond that on internal parts.

I like to leave reference marks and notes i put on the pieces as Easter eggs for the future. I do apply some finish to internal parts but it depends on what kind of internal part and if it's seen or not. If it's something that never gets seen it's likely it doesn't have finish.