Pipe Clamps

Coop

I have several pairs assembled and hung on the wall, with extra lengths of pipe and couplings to add length as needed.

Irwin had (has?) a line of pipe clamps with slip clutches on both heads, so threaded pipe was not necessary. Those are my favorite, but hard to find since my local Lowes store switched to Jorgensen.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2023 at 8:31 PM, Coop said:

Do you guys keep your clamps in a drawer and the various pieces of pipes separate or keep them together, either mounted or stashed to one side? 

I have mostly parallel and F style clamps but I do have some pipe clamps incase of long clamping needs.  Clamps are in a drawer and the pipe is out in my shed.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 11:01 AM, Dave H said:

I use my pipe clamps a lot and I used to have them stuffed in a corner for years, I hated it. 4/5 yrs ago I decided to finally organize all my clamps and get them out of the corner I took some 2x4's and made a L out of them screwed the L's to the wall.

1169547950_pipeclampstorage.thumb.jpg.28458cd3574370a42010a62ae2b2a4b4.jpg

I works great  for my work flow and now, no more clamp avalanches LOL 

I stopped buying pipe clamps. Buddy sold me some Jorgensen  I-beam clamps, but they’re so heavy I never use them. In cabinetry 2’ are good for doors, uppers,etc and 3’ are good for bases, etc. You could get away with just a ton of 30” clamps.

When I got layed off at the furniture company, they eventually shut down and was selling off everything. Just before I was let go, they bought about 80 Bessey I-beam clamp 50” I believe. When they had their auction, I looked for them to make a bid, but they didn’t come up. Obviously they were sold under the table..

On 2/12/2023 at 7:23 PM, gee-dub said:

Just as a disclaimer; I can go a little overboard on shop fixtures.  That being said, the things I do to make my shop time more enjoyable, like your clamp rack, pay dividends way beyond the time and effort required to implement them.  I spend a lot of time in my shop.  I shouldn't have to worry about a pipe clamp avalanche :D

I have what I refer to as the "that's it!!!" threshold.  Every now and then I have to deal with something "one more time" and it hits the "that's it" threshold.  I then pretty much put everything I am doing on hold long enough to do something so that I NEVER have to deal with that thing again. My woodworking and shop time from that point forward are forever more pleasant :D

It’s alright to go overboard with shop fixtures. I was the opposite, I went overboard with projects…Now that I’m more committed to furniture rather than cabinetry, I’m having to rework the shop without completely gutting it. Making one time jigs and now trying to make jigs that have more than one purpose..Still trying to decide if it’s a waste of time or not..

On 2/13/2023 at 9:10 AM, BillyJack said:

It’s alright to go overboard with shop fixtures. I was the opposite, I went overboard with projects…Now that I’m more committed to furniture rather than cabinetry, I’m having to rework the shop without completely gutting it. Making one time jigs and now trying to make jigs that have more than one purpose..Still trying to decide if it’s a waste of time or not..

I have discarded a lot of one time jigs.  I also have jigs that were "version 2" builds that have been around for years and had enough use to make it worth my while.  I am just an enthusiastic hobbyist so my take on things is different from a pro.  In my field we had a waste factor that I am sure folks outside the field would think was excessive.  The cost versus benefit thing really kicks in when you are doing something for a living ;-)