Air Compressor Quick Release Couplings

Immortan D

Which ones do you use in your shop?

20230403_190308.thumb.jpg.ed2d09c9021ec07908aff83f6ecebd93.jpg

Long neck (top)? Short neck (bottom)?

I wasn't aware of the different types of couplings so right now I have a compressor with the short ones, a hose with the long ones and a nailer with the short one again B)

So for now I made two adapters but I have to choose one system, just not sure which one.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 11:40 AM, Chestnut said:

Are they not interchangeable? I have no idea what i have but I do know I like the female end that has the collar that holds open when you remove the air tool then you just have to press in the next tool making changes a bit easier.

Nope, they're not.

On 4/4/2023 at 12:29 PM, gee-dub said:

I will say that cheap version of these like HF are no bargain.

To make the adapters, I picked up a male and female fitting for each of the styles, home center stuff. The ARO female fittings look a lot more heavy duty than their industrial equivalent. But they both worked fine, no leaks.

• Like 2

All mine are Type H, which is what I started with in 1974, and saw no need to change.  That's an industrial 3/8" size for high flow, but I have them on everything pneumatic.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O2ZYK4/?coliid=I22ZO37ZKSUV8F&colid=2P8GBP5SU4LS7&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

There are some fancy, really nice quick connects now, but they're pretty expensive.  I'd look, pick, and stick with your choice of the Many types.

• Like 1

I didn't realized there were different kinds and so I went out to look as well. Look like mine, which were bought at various box stores and on Amazon over the years, are all Industrial.

This feels like USB plugs all over again.

• Thanks 1

I've got the regular flow industrial style on all my tools/compressors/hoses. Mostly because that's what came already attached to my PC nailers, and I got a drawer full of matching quick connectors from a garage sale early on. Even my airbrush hose has a standard NPT fitting on the far end.

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2023 at 8:31 PM, curlyoak said:

Based on your situation, type that your tools have and hoses, do what is the least work. The other choice is to match what a toolmaker offers then dedicate your purchases to that type.

I have a small compressor (2 gallon) and I only intend to use it for nailers.

By the way I received my new brad nailer today:

20230406_213850.thumb.jpg.2bae042815fecbd3bed208db3ff27314.jpg

It came with the industrial style fitting, same as the pin nailer I already have.

So the obvious choice was to adopt the industrial style, considering that my compressor also came with that style.

That said, I like the ARO style more than the industrial. So I changed the fittings on both tools to ARO. On the compressor side I won't make any changes, I will keep using the industrial-to-ARO adapter I made.

• Like 2

I’ve found that due to the tight locations of the female connectors on my compressor, that’s where the ARO type excels. Again, no need  to spring back the female collar to insert the male hose connection, especially with pressure in the tank. 

• Like 2

For nailers i've bought a few of these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077B9XVQS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

It's really nice to have a hook on the nailer. I can hook that on my pocket to keep the nailer close while doing work that takes 2 hands. The only major down side is they don't fit in the blow molded cases any more. That's not an issue for me as I don't travel with mine so i just stack them on a pull out trey with their respective ammo that doesn't fit in the case either.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2023 at 9:41 AM, Chestnut said:

For nailers i've bought a few of these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077B9XVQS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

It's really nice to have a hook on the nailer. I can hook that on my pocket to keep the nailer close while doing work that takes 2 hands. The only major down side is they don't fit in the blow molded cases any more. That's not an issue for me as I don't travel with mine so i just stack them on a pull out trey with their respective ammo that doesn't fit in the case either.

Those are nice. But one point to Makita and PC, both nailers came with hooks already installed out of the box.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

Those are nice. But one point to Makita and PC, both nailers came with hooks already installed out of the box.

Didn't know that. All of my nailers are old or cheap and didn't come with hooks that's nice they are included now.