Leaked Mineral Spirits Overnight, How to Kill the Smell?

gee-dub

I had an MS container leak overnight.  For good or bad it was a drip, drip, drip sort of rate of leak onto the concrete.  I have tried baking soda, soap, Pinesol, etc.  It's been a couple of days and the smell is still overpowering.  Any ideas?

On 6/30/2023 at 6:34 AM, Mark J said:

Good to hear.  Even as I made the suggestion I wasn't entirely sure a heat gun was a "good" idea.

Right you are.  I should have mentioned that it had been gassing off for about 4 days with fans on it before I tried the heat gun.

I love the smell of mineral spirits in the morning.....it smells like victory! No I spilled some turpentine on my shop floor, I wiped up what I could it stunk real bad for several days. But over time it didn't stink as much I left the shop open while I was working out there. Good luck 

On 7/1/2023 at 6:26 AM, Mark J said:

@gee-dub , I'm curious if there is any lingering discoloration of the concrete? 

At first it looked like a wet spot on any old concrete.  The location where the drip, drip, drip was occurring from about 5 feet up is whitish. The surrounding area is getting lighter and lighter as I keep a fan on it all day (off at night because I'm a safety freak).  I can still see it clearly but it is much lighter than yesterday.  I do not know that it will ever go away completely but, I have various drips and stains on the slab.  The shop floor is not a total mess but it is certainly not pristine. :rolleyes:

*** UPDATE ***  It has been typical SoCal-Sunny the last couple of days.  With the doors open and the fans going I have reached this point at the end of today. 

InkedNewShop(524).thumb.jpg.dac3716e11b9c559be07930981e42d8e.jpg

Almost can't see it.  The particleboard and melamine cabinet still stinks but I am hoping another couple of days with the fans will calm that down.  If I can salvage it I will have to re-attach the edge trim and shelf surface coverings that failed.  If I can't salvage it I will just have to make something to take its place.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2023 at 4:48 AM, Tpt life said:

Concrete is porous and wicks. Heat is often used to raise oil from concrete, that looks like it had all been removed with cleaners. 

Yeah, the heat gun treatment really helped the absorbed MS.

• Like 1

I would suspect with a slow drip the solvent was evaporating away as well as soaking in so you probably only got a fraction of the spill soaked into the concrete. You said the shelf veneers are damaged, may have to dry the shelf core material well before anything gets reapplied to it.

Heat and airflow are really the best (perhaps only) solution.  A space heater with a fan blowing on the area of the spill and additional fans to move air through the space.  Not a nice problem!  Sorry for your luck, mate!  At least it's summer.  Same thing in the winter would be twice the problem!