Tempting

BillyJack

I'd rather drop a brick repeatedly on my foot than go back to using dowels to make furniture. There is a reason that the domino is so widely loved and hated. It doesn't yet have competition that is able to replicate it's ease of use, accuracy, and quality results. Well maybe that lamello joinery system... better bust out your ire if you think festool is over priced.

• Haha 1

On 9/14/2023 at 11:55 AM, Chestnut said:

I'd rather drop a brick repeatedly on my foot than go back to using dowels to make furniture. There is a reason that the domino is so widely loved and hated. It doesn't yet have competition that is able to replicate it's ease of use, accuracy, and quality results. Well maybe that lamello joinery system... better bust out your ire if you think festool is over priced.

#1… I used a Domino from 2012-2019. I’m also the woodworker that came on here and complained a loud doing 700 bar stools for Chilis  restaurant and had to replace all 700 because of Domino failure. 

#2…A M&T will always be better than a Domino, just not as fast. 

#3.. We were using stationary doweling machines in the early 80’s with success for woodworking…

#4… I was very efficient with dowels long before Festool came along..

if you think festool is over priced.”

Ive got nothing against a Festool Domino. As I mentioned the other day, If my son in law would sell a pistol, I’d go half. 

Domino is nothing more than a shortcut tool..

I have a couple of chairs that were made with dowel joinery and they came loose. I had to take them apart and replace the dowels. I think dowels are not a replacement for M&T in certain circumstances.

Other than that I've been using dowels for a long time without issues. I just use a drill guide with fences and spacers to drill the holes. Not fun at all, but it works.

I'd like to see some joint strength test between an integral m&t, loose m&t / domino, and dowels, with all joints having the same volume of tenon. I suspect the differences would be pretty small. It always appears to me that dowels & dominoes tend to be used with less volume of material crossing the joint than an integral tenon typically has.

A M&T is One glued end where a Domino and Dowels are two. 

Strength test? You won’t get any better strength test than from a factory. When you make a piece for yourself , you take care of it. The furniture factory likes a design and sends 10-20 out and lets the public test it. 

They bought the Domino specifically  to make bar stools. Failure and a lesson learned.

Bar stools to the right

IMG_1231.jpeg

On 9/15/2023 at 9:15 AM, Coop said:

Not really sure what the question is here? You don’t seem open for discussion so go for it if 

I’m tempted and think I’ll sell one of Dewalt 625 routers to buy it. 

I’m curious if anybody has one..

I'm use to doweling machines. Staionary or portable..

265422212_6650426615030152_239810308271575349_n.jpg

This conversation was from the other day.

“When the son in law was using   pocket screws,  the pieces was he screwing together  snapping screws. Guess he was using soft wood Kreg screws. It just takes a little something to turn a good day bad..

Told him I’d go 50/50 with him on a Domino..”

Im not interest in a Domino at $1300 at my age(58) unless I only payed half. Now a double doweling jig at less than $200 , yes..

On 9/15/2023 at 10:12 AM, BillyJack said:

Chestnut why are you talking to me about a Domino?

On 9/15/2023 at 11:36 AM, BillyJack said:

This conversation was from the other day.

“When the son in law was using   pocket screws,  the pieces was he screwing together  snapping screws. Guess he was using soft wood Kreg screws. It just takes a little something to turn a good day bad..

Told him I’d go 50/50 with him on a Domino..”

Why are you talking to us about the domino?

:ph34r:

• Haha 1

On 9/14/2023 at 6:43 PM, wtnhighlander said:

I'd like to see some joint strength test between an integral m&t, loose m&t / domino, and dowels, with all joints having the same volume of tenon. 

This doesn't cover the Domino but does dowels and biscuits. There are several other "joint test" videos and web pages out there. 

• Thanks 1

I recognized the  failure at the  factory during assembly, but was overruled. 700 bar stools later, with a $100,000 price tag got their attention. 

I have no problem with doweling. I have no problem doweling especially if I can get more use from a  Double dowel than a single manual. As far as a Domino, it’s not worth $1400 at my age.  Reason I’d go 1/2..

I wa# trained to do dowels in the early 80’s before a Domino. I can take either one. The Domino is obviously faster, but I’ve learned from all those bar stools to be careful on how much you depend on the joinery.