TiteBond III Curing Time

I’ve always used TiteBond II for my furniture projects (indoor pieces). Recently I switched to TiteBond IiI simply because I noticed that many woodworkers were using it. I’ve had two episodes where wood laminations failed (walnut & cherry) delaminated after being clamped and cured for 24 hours. On the most recent piece I noticed that the glue was still damp after it delaminated. They were tightly clamped and placed in a climate controlled environment. Has anybody had this experience? (The glue is less than 3 months old).

On 2/12/2024 at 3:44 PM, curlyoak said:

Is your issue with veneers? If so II or III will work. But veneers need vacuum bag overnight. Without a vacuum bag delimitation is possible. I use III.

No, I’m laminating a pedestal for a table. Each piece is 1”x4” cherry

I have noticed a good deal of inconsistency in the 'texture' and viscocity from one bottle of TB3 to the next. Far more than with TB2,my primary adhesive. Although I've never had a failure like you describe, I suspect that TB3 is more susceptible to cold / heat exposure in its liquid form, and these bottles may have been improperly stored. 

FWIW, TB2 is rated as "weatherproof", suitable for many outdoor applications. I only use TB3 for the darker color. My 100% outdoor projects get epoxy or polyurathane glue.

On 2/12/2024 at 12:55 PM, Hammer5573 said:

Understood…however; my question is , does III take longer than 24 hours to set up..?

On 2/12/2024 at 2:03 PM, BillyJack said:

There is a difference between setup and dry time.

I make a lot of table. I mean lots of tables..And TB2 is fine. The cure time on 3 just aggravates me on exterior projects.

So yes, it takes longer to setup..

This is interesting.  I am in SoCal; 70-something-degrees, humidity around 40-odd-%, average of 11 inches of rain per year, . . . TB-III cures to the point of handling in about 30 minutes.  I can do almost anything I want to continue working after about 2 hours.  Stronger than the wood in 24 hours.

Our environment obviously plays into our experiences with adhesives and finishes.  Is West Virginia particularly cold or dry when you are experiencing this?

Just as an aside - a quick check revealed that I have 3 types of epoxy, CA glues, cements, spray adhesives, rock-hard setting glues, stay-soft industrial adhesives, construction adhesives, thread-lockers, silicone, acid-free pastes, etc.  One glue does not rule them all :D

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

FWIW, TB2 is rated as "weatherproof", suitable for many outdoor applications

I used TB II for a bird house and it failed in 2 years time. It got full rain and sun exposure for that 2 years though. I made another one using TB III and after 3 years it's still going strong. That includes winters with wet snow sitting on top so you may not experience that level of harsh environment in TN.

7 hours ago, Hammer5573 said:

West. Virginia is cold but the humidity drops in the winter months

If glue drops below 55-60 degrees IIRC it'll take a lot longer to set. Extend taht down to 40 and it may need over 24 hours might need to check the instructions.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

That includes winters with wet snow sitting on top so you may not experience that level of harsh environment in TN

Yeah, even with the limited snow we get, I wouldn't use TB2 for that project. "Weatherproof" isn't the same as "Waterproof", which is how TB3 is rated. I'd still use epoxy or Gorilla glue.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2024 at 2:55 PM, Hammer5573 said:

Understood…however; my question is , does III take longer than 24 hours to set up..?

In answer to your question, I have never experienced this. I think highly of II & III. I suspect a contaminated bottle, either from age or climate.

• Like 2