Grizzly has a new track saw

Nick2cd

So the tool might not be the best in the business, but I am curious about that track. It looks almost identical to the Festool track, and I wonder if it would actually fit the Festool. That would be a cheap alternative to the tracks that Festool sells.

Also, if those clamps work in the Festool track as well, those are a bargain.

That looks interesting. I've been considering going to a track-saw type setup to be able to break down sheet goods before bringing it into my basement shop, but I couldn't justify the price for either the FS or Dewalt saws. I put a nicer plywood blade in my crappy Craftsman circ saw, and what a difference it made - nice clean cuts.

That looks interesting. I've been considering going to a track-saw type setup to be able to break down sheet goods before bringing it into my basement shop, but I couldn't justify the price for either the FS or Dewalt saws. I put a nicer plywood blade in my crappy Craftsman circ saw, and what a difference it made - nice clean cuts.

Although none of us have actually tried the Grizzly tracksaw yet (because it is not available), I assume the cuts will not be as quality as the Festool. However, I could be proved wrong. With the correct blade on the set up, this saw might just wow some people for the price. After reading your post, I really thought about people to use this tool for rough cutting plywood. I know there are some people out there that no matter what, they like to break down the plywood into more manageable pieces, and take it to the table saw for more repeatable cuts. This saw would be incredibly fast, and affordable, for that situation.

I was reading the specs the saw has only a 9 amp motor as far as circ saws go that is under powered, as I do not own or desire a track saw from FT, or Griz and have no idea what the amperage of the FT TS has but when buying a circ saw you want as many amps as you can afford. Also I see the Griz TS only has a 55" track didn't see any extensions offered even though I'm not interested in a track saw that would be a deal breaker for me if I couldn't cut a sheet of ply the 8' way. Just my 2 cents.

One beef with other tracksaws I've seen (like DeWalt) is that the cost wasn't that far off from Festool's TS55, but this looks very interesting. It would be smart money if the tracks are perfectly compatible with the TS55 and accessories. I don't have problems paying more for a power tool itself, but non-mechanical accessories are a different story with me. Anyway, hope they have a longer track than 55/75".

I got to play with this last week when i went to the grizzly showroom. It plunges differently than the festool. I also got to try the ft t55 a few days later at a tool store near my house. I didnt try either with power, just comparing the difference in plunge and smoothness. My gatherings concluded the ft has a nicer plunge setup which feels smoother and more natural. This does not speak for accuracy comparisons, just my findings ( also there is huge price gap with these two saws, if the grizzly system works for the price then it is a steal!)

I assume the cuts will not be as quality as the Festool.

I don't think I would make that assumption - in fact, with the right blade, I assume it will make as good quality cuts. Only a head-to-head will answer that. In my mind the differentiation will be in additional features - blade change, DC performance, power, overall quality, adjustability features. FS also has variable speed, which could be an important feature for many people.

I was reading the specs the saw has only a 9 amp motor as far as circ saws go that is under powered

The Grizz is 1100W, and the FS looks to have 1200W (10A, according to their manual). FS has the edge but they are close.

Also I see the Griz TS only has a 55" track didn't see any extensions offered

It looks like the accessory kit comes with the rail connectors to connect multiple rails. I didn't see longer rails, so +1 to FS for offereing different size rails.

Oddly enough, I was planning on writing a quick article about this. I think it's particularly interesting given the price point. So I called their customer service line and introduced myself. I said that I am writing an article for my website and that I have a few basic questions (mainly pricing and availability). I was completely shut down. I was told that "since they are the sole distributor for the product, they don't do that." Do what?!?! Give people information about pricing and availability?!

So make of that what you will, but it seems to me like they aren't too interested in generating buzz about this new product launch. Sup wit dat?!

I was reading the specs the saw has only a 9 amp motor as far as circ saws go that is under powered, as I do not own or desire a track saw from FT, or Griz and have no idea what the amperage of the FT TS has but when buying a circ saw you want as many amps as you can afford. Also I see the Griz TS only has a 55" track didn't see any extensions offered even though I'm not interested in a track saw that would be a deal breaker for me if I couldn't cut a sheet of ply the 8' way. Just my 2 cents.

It lists and accessory kit that includes a rail connector. I'm guessing that is meant to connect 2 or more of the guide rails together, like you do with Festool and others.

The specs and basic design look very much like the Scheppach saw that is available at McFeelys. http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/STC-90700/Scheppach-Plunge-Saw-with-Rails

Does "Designed in Germany!" mean that the saw they copied was designed by a company in Germany?

It lists and accessory kit that includes a rail connector. I'm guessing that is meant to connect 2 or more of the guide rails together, like you do with Festool and others.

The specs and basic design look very much like the Scheppach saw that is available at McFeelys. http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/STC-90700/Scheppach-Plunge-Saw-with-Rails

Does "Designed in Germany!" mean that the saw they copied was designed by a company in Germany?

Rebranded not a copy.

Note that this plunge circular saw, largely modeled on the Festool is incompatible with the environment Festool guide (off their web site put into google translator)

TS-55 has a 10amp motor, I would expect that extensions will come quickly.

I am curious what the cut quality is like. I could be very interested in this for breaking down sheet stock if it's not utterly terrible. The way I work I don't think I'd take it (or wood from a TS-55) directly to joinery anyways, and it would likely be going to the good old tablesaw afterwards so if it's better than what I currently have (straight-edge and a cheap-o Skillsaw) it may make more sense for me than the cost of the Festool.

justsomeguy and Don beat me to it - these are available under other names (such as Scheppach), on other sites. It should help researching reviews and feedback. Oddly, I went through the McFeely's catalog last night and either it wasn't there or I just totally skipped over it. Could it be the Grizzly name that's bringing more awareness to it? :)

• 2 months later...

Hmm... is there a hint in the fact that he calls it a "review" (with scary quotes around it?)

I'm not expecting a Festool quality saw, but for a hobbyist, if you can get most of the way there for a fraction of the price, then, it certainly might be worthwhile.