Redwood planter boxes

nod

First off, I learned a lot on this project. They're not fine furniture, but I wasn't going for anything rustic. The designer in me is happy, the wannabe woodworker in me is cringing. I'll definitely be more prepared when tackling future projects. And I realized a sliding compound miter saw should be in my future for rough stuff like this. It would have made a few steps in this project much easier. Not neccesary, but a bit more efficient. And, I've only got one insert (zero clearance) for the TS, so I'm not set up for angled cuts yet. Anyways, I got it figured out. Nothing prevented me from completing this project. Well, my box of 100 screws postponed completion...i needed 112! I'm sure that's 112 too many screws for most of your fine joinery guys. Give me time, I'm learning. I don't have a pocket hold jig either, so i made the screw heads part of the design. 

long story mid-size...

Wife and I picked up some semi dwarf lime trees (original plan was 1). We couldn't really decide on a location to plant them, so I suggested boxes. Approval was given, and I was off. slowly... Took me a couple weeks to come up with design. Originally, I wanted one box, with a bench cantilevered out on two sides. That was proving too technical for me, and we ended up with 2 trees, so it was an easy decision to build two boxes, sans bench. Needless to say, some lessons learned. I would approach a bit differently if I do them or someething similar again. And, they were crazy expensive. Clear heart redwood, plus stainless grx fasteners are not for the faint of heart. Satisfactory results all around, but I need to work on my miters. 

First shot is just in progress/shop shot. I built these miter box extensions that I can move/remove as needed to my worktable. Until I get the shop reorganized, these help. Table also acts as outfeed for TS. 

post-14137-0-67908200-1408133660_thumb.j

post-14137-0-24513200-1408133670_thumb.j

Nice work Nod. Line them with pond liner and don't forget drain holes. Is the base a treated softwood? That will be in direct contact with moisture all the time so needs to be tanalized.

Nice to see you used stainless fasteners. The mitres will come apart even if you biscuit them and use epoxy glue but hey it's outdoor furniture. Just enjoy them when you have them planted up.

Thanks guys! didn't expect much since they're just planters. 

KCooper, 

I had not planned on a liner since somebody told me I didn't need one. But, with the cost of materials, I suppose it won't hurt to prolong the life a bit more. The interior bottom is cedar. The feet are cuts of redwood 2x4, but I've got a few bricks I'll be setting into the dirt for their final resting once we get that location nailed down. 

Terry,

thanks for pond liner tip. Not sure if I can find that around here, but I"ll try. sounds like it would be great.

They look great!

As you pointed out, I'm not a big fan of exposed fasteners but, these really turned out nice!

You could add a bench between them if you still want that bench.

I setup a jig on the drill press. Made sure all the hole locations were the same. a bunch of uneven, crooked locations would have drove me nuts!

The miters on the cap (1x6) were difficult. I'm glad you can't really see them in the pic.

I have an Incra miter SE or whatever it's called. something wasn't quite 45*. I need to spend some time playing with setting it and the saw up. Ppicked up a used Starrett Last Word - that'll be the next couple hours of shop time I can find. 

I think the joinery is appropriate to the function of these pieces and no need to apologize for it.  I'd've used stainless screws too.  The heck with trying to do some fancy finagling with a piece of outdoor furniture.

These turned out really nice and the redwood and cedar should stand up to the elements pretty well but some kind of poly liner - pond liner or landscape barrier - would help extend that life.  Since you have them designed to be up a little bit off the ground, the liner may be less important than a good set (not too large) of drain holes and a layer of river or landscape rock on the bottom.

Nicely done!

Looks good to me.  I'd definitely use a liner or even just stick a plastic pot in there and plant the tree in potting soil.   My experience is that new growth western red is not nearly as rot proof as it is billed to be, and structurally it is not very strong.  A little bit of rot and the screws come loose.   Nice job!

Reminds me of my first ww project ever which was a garden bench out of redwood. I didn't have dust collection nor did I use a dusk mask. I thought I had asthma. There is a reason bugs, fungus leave redwood alone. Nasty stuff. Almost gave up woodworking after that until I read about how nasty redwood dust is.

Nice job BTW.