Shaker candle stands

Bombarde16

OK, pushing the envelope of small shop woodworking with this one. A bare complement of tools and a seventh floor apartment balcony in Pennsylvania are all I have. My secret weapon? I brought my lathe...445f98e5ba7c9140740785fd4a75f6dd.jpg6eb21f8bf5621f61f2d2d52b8e415e63.jpg

I've also got some power tools (a circ saw, a drill, a router among others) and whatever hand tools I could stuff into a Rubbermaid tote. Goal is to make a run of candle stands. It'll be an interesting change from having a dedicated shop.

For tonight, I started by emptying the tote and laying things out near the balcony door. I have a fir 4x4 which looks like it'll yield three pedestal blanks, plus a few shorter blanks for other projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I crosscut the post down to blanks that just fit in my 18" lathe. Marked centers and sketched an octagon on the end. Next it was time to lop the corners to save time on the lathe.

7d46a6dace657edb2fb7fb934233ef49.jpg

Any time the hatchet makes an appearance in fine furniture building is a happy day! Roughed three blanks and had just enough time to take one to round.

ec6c9f116345d3566a1d5e7b56fb0bbb.jpge224ed213bbdcd04231129438b498707.jpg

Sifted through a pile of 2x12s before swimming last night and picked a likely candidate.

b135e013eefa50fc1fd7dd56cb624f2a.jpg

Had the store cut it in half so I could get it home. I have to park two blocks away, so it was two trips to horse the boards upstairs. Nice thing about urban woodworking: there's so many screwballs walking around downtown that nobody pays a second glance to a guy carrying a floor joist.

Made some ballpark cuts and will let things settle for a bit. (Hiking today!) Time to sharpen the iron for my jointer. Oh yeah, I still haven't figured out what those jigs are going to look like.

Edge jointing with a circular saw and a guide. So far, so good. Only oops is that I don't have a clamp long enough to span 22". These will be round tops, so I can cut notches for the clamps in a part of the board that will ultimately be cut away.2b009b2e0edf604d56fc4844485940b2.jpg

No panic, just an extra step.

Another option would be to hook 2 clamps together to stretch the distance..

May well do both.  Cutting notches in the corners will give me excellent pressure at the ends but (depending on how good I am jointing the edges) I may need a little extra pressure in the center.  Hooking shorter clamps would be the answer there.

• Like 1

Some digital doodling while the glue dries.

post-211-0-59667700-1410647770_thumb.jpg

The post has a few beads near the legs as well as an urn in the middle.  The legs will taper down to slipper feet, so they won't look nearly as chunky as they are here.  But the basic version of Sketchup barfs at the thought of intersecting curves, so this is enough for now.  Now that I have the rise and run worked out, it's time to do a full size template.