Netflix Hangover

rodger.

I recently found "Air Crash Investigation".  It's a Canadian TV series and a lot of episodes are available on Youtube.  The first half of each show is a "dramatic re-enactment" of an airline crash.  The second part is the investigation and conclusion.  It's done more as a documentary than a drama.  It's not woodworking, but at least it's real engineering: metal fatigue, casting imperfections, systems design, etc.

• Like 1

I recently found "Air Crash Investigation".  It's a Canadian TV series and a lot of episodes are available on Youtube.  The first half of each show is a "dramatic re-enactment" of an airline crash.  The second part is the investigation and conclusion.  It's done more as a documentary than a drama.  It's not woodworking, but at least it's real engineering: metal fatigue, casting imperfections, systems design, etc.

I attended college at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, and we used that show all the time in the classroom for case studies. Anytime we started work on one, that show gave a great overview and visual representation of what happened before delving deeper in on the minutiae.

Point is, great show, but I had no idea anyone else liked it!

There is no way I could drop my DirecTV.  My wife is a huge Soccer fan and watches most of the European teams. I even subscribe to the Spanish channels so she can watch Barcelona and Real Madrid when they are not also broadcast in english.  (No she does not speak Spanish but for soccer that is not really a problem.)  When she goes to see children or friends she has complained about missing an important Barcelona game.  SO - - - does anyone here have a SlingBox and if so what do you think of it.  

http://www.slingbox.com/Products/SlingboxM1/Features.aspx

I really enjoy Forensic Files which is on both Amazon and Netflix. I believe Netflix has, "The Best of...," while Amazon has selected episodes from all seasons. The Amazon episodes are better but it's a great documentary series. I used to assume CSI was science fiction but it turns out that pretty much every technique I've seen on CSI is from real life. It was shocking really, the amount of information they can learn from a crime scene when they are really dedicated to solving a murder. In one case they learned the suspect's skin color, eye color, heritage, and I forget what else from the DNA he left behind and that was over a decade ago, imagine what they can do now. In another, from a photo, they spotted fingerprints on a 50 year old postcard and were able to recover those fingerprints using only light. The most interesting cases are those where an innocent person is convicted and later proves their innocence. 

I have not seen Air Crash Investigation but I'll check it out.

Trade you..  I'm over 200 with no premium channels for HSI, cable, and a land line.  Because it's a bundle, it's actually more expensive for us to drop the landline...

We have a comcast " triple play"!bundle, they let us replace the land line with home security, Internet, home security, cable (DVR, HBO, 5 boxes) all for the low low price of 200 a month

There is no way I could drop my DirecTV.  My wife is a huge Soccer fan and watches most of the European teams. I even subscribe to the Spanish channels so she can watch Barcelona and Real Madrid when they are not also broadcast in english.  (No she does not speak Spanish but for soccer that is not really a problem.)  When she goes to see children or friends she has complained about missing an important Barcelona game.  SO - - - does anyone here have a SlingBox and if so what do you think of it.  

http://www.slingbox.com/Products/SlingboxM1/Features.aspx

Most people I've talked to don't know what those are.  Maybe it's my career field but still very surprising.  I've heard you need an unlimited data plan and fast internet to prevent freeze-ups but this was many years ago.     

Just wait till football goes cable like baseball did. You guys will be in trouble. :)

Ya that is what I am afraid of but I still have some time before that happens. Those contracts will need to expire first.

In regards to those antennas, I always held off because some website I found is supposed to predict what channels you would get based on your area, and the results were always dismal in mine.

Ever checked out this site? http://www.antennaweb.org/Default.aspx

Yep. The main reason I went full speed ahead.

f4ac63bcd14b38d75bc522db9791ffa2.jpg

Seems like enough channels for me.

Same for me. I get plenty of sub channels and other than PBS 8.2, I only use the x.1 channels. The sub channels are often not in HD either so my delicate eyes just can't handle that. :) 

Concerning baseball, doesn't MLB have a pretty good online offering for their content? Perhaps one day the DirecTV deathgrip on NFL will let up and we'll be able to buy a subscription to Sunday Ticket independently of a DirecTV sub.

Same for me. I get plenty of sub channels and other than PBS 8.2, I only use the x.1 channels. The sub channels are often not in HD either so my delicate eyes just can't handle that. :)

Concerning baseball, doesn't MLB have a pretty good online offering for their content? Perhaps one day the DirecTV deathgrip on NFL will let up and we'll be able to buy a subscription to Sunday Ticket independently of a DirecTV sub.

This!!

Hopefully one day we can just buy a Sunday ticket subscription by itself. They would make a killing whenever that happens.

Baseball does do well for online, if you are out of market. If you are in market, you're basically screwed.

I don't see NFL going cable, there's way too much money invested and returned via the networks. Too many opportunities to tout their other programming. Only if NFL ratings decline.

Dish just announced Sling TV yesterday, an option for ESPN et al. Very excited.