Sawhorses moving around on the shop floor

DavidChenware

Hi, I'm new here and new to woodworking.

I built some sawhorses so that I could use them as a temporary bench while I create a bench. I am attempting to build Paul Sellers' workbench, which has a laminated top. I purchased a garage sale Miller Falls #14 (Stanley #5 equivalent), and am attempting to plane the boards down - but my sawhorses keep sliding across the garage floor. I am assuming this is because nothing is heavy enough.

Are there any interim solutions that I can use until I have a full heavier bench setup?

Thanks guys!

Not all saw horses are created equal some pics of the horses would be helpful in the diagnosis of the run away ponies ;) I like this style also referred to as union saw horses because they are your first project that is required as a first period carpenter apprentice. The legs are splayed both ways also the legs have compound angles on both ends so you have the most contact with the floor this makes for a sturdy saw horse the angle I use is 15 deg for the attachment to the top rail with a 7deg splay angle.

post-2926-0-16332600-1344629272_thumb.jp

All it takes is a brace for the work piece. I would not want the piece against a wall if I had to work out to the end. Something like a rip of ply or a firring strip (or two) that could have a stop fastened and brace against a wall would be my choice.

Being that he is building a workbench he could do like I did to start, plane down to the end and then flip the board around and sit your butt on it to hold it in place to get the last foot or so.  After you get the first few boards glued up you can use them as a bench and clamp a stop to it, or just clamp the board to the benchtop and let the benchtop contact the stable object.  I still brace my benchtop against a post to plane it even though it's 8' long and 23 1/4" wide.  Heavy as heck and it will still move on the sawhorses.  Cant wait to put some stable legs under it.