Angle Grinder recommendations, please?

Beechwood Chip

After watching the sculpted rocker guild build videos, I thought I might spring for this Dewalt cordless angle grinder.  I have a DeWalt 18V charger with 4 batteries, so the bare tool will fit right in.

Anyone have experience using this for woodworking?  Most of the negative reviews say that it doesn't do a good job of cutting through large steel bolts, but I use my corded Sawzall for that.

If you're doing small tasks the cordless grinders are great I have one that came with a kit deal. I use it a lot when I'm doing jobs away from home or, away from power. But when I'm going to do a longer more sustained grinding job I reach for the corded tool it has more power and doesn't need battery changes those cordless ones that I've used go through the batteries in short order.

Is this going to be your only grinder or are you just thinking of getting a cordless one also?

I love my corded Dewalt grinder but, definitely wouldn't mind also having a battery pack operated one for the occasional use.

If I could only have one, it would have a cord

This would be my only grinder.  I was thinking that this would be an inexpensive way to see how much use I got out of a grinder, since I already had the batteries.  But, the corded tools are about the same price as the cordless "bare tool".

In the seat shaping video, Marc said that he preferred the Milwaukee cordless grinder to the DeWalt corded.  That got me thinking about getting a cordless.  But the Milwaukee cordless is $370!!!  Then I saw the DeWalt cordless for $80.  

Sounds like I should be looking at corded grinders.

Edited by Beechwood Chip

If you are just an occasional user, I recommend this:

http://m.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-angle-grinder-with-paddle-switch-65519.html

I have one, and it is awesome! It may die the next time I plug it it, but I got my money's worth after the first use. Folks gripe about quality cintrol on HF tools, and rightly so, but when they're good, they're great!

• Like 2

http://m.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-angle-grinder-with-paddle-switch-65519.html

I have one, and it is awesome! It may die the next time I plug it it, but I got my money's worth after the first use. Folks gripe about quality control on HF tools, and rightly so, but when they're good, they're great!

You hit it..."occasional user".  I've worked at a few metal shops through the years and most of them used Milwaukee just because of hard, daily use but for what many of us do in the shop, this HF is great!  I will say this for information, I bought two 4 1/2" grinders from Sears when they had them on a sale and they're JUNK.  The grinder is great but the switches failed in both of them in about three uses.

I have a fairly inexpensive corded Dewalt angle grinder with the on off switch.  I have always wished it had a trigger rather than the on/off.  So that may be something to look for when buying.  My dad suggested it when he saw mine and after using it a bunch I could see how having the momentary switch would be nice.  Not to mention I removed the guard as it seems to always get in the way and the switch is right next to the spinning blade. 

I have a set of Milwaukee cordless tools and the rocker video referenced above really made me want the grinder to go with the set.  Then again I also want the circular saw and half the other stuff they make for it too.  So many tools so few dollars. 

What about the Porter-Cable?

Harbor Freight: $30, paddle switch, WTO recommended, pay another $7 ground or $22 for 2nd day.

Porter-Cable: $30, rocker switch, free 2nd day shipping, "brand name"

I prefer to buy from Amazon or to use PayPal - I don't like to give my credit card info to lots of different stores.  I also prefer to use 2nd day; I have stuff delivered to work and I've found that with 2nd day they sort out the address to make the deadline, while with regular shipping they say "(8am) I'll do the easy ones first... (4pm) I'll do this one tomorrow" every day and I never get the delivery.

I could drive to Harbor Freight, but there isn't one near me.  I'll be passing close to one in a couple of weeks, but it would add another 45 minutes to a 2 hour drive.

But, that paddle switch looks sweet.

Any experience with the Porter-Cable?

Edited by Beechwood Chip

I have one, and it is awesome! It may die the next time I plug it it, but I got my money's worth after the first use. Folks gripe about quality cintrol on HF tools, and rightly so, but when they're good, they're great!

Our plating department uses harbor freight corded reciprocating saws.  If the atmosphere is going to eat them fairly quickly anyway why not buy a disposable one?

I have toolboxes full of them. I don't like paddle switches because a job of any length makes your hand tired. I use a cordless one only when a tailed one is too much trouble. Walmart sells the red ones for something like 29.99. I buy them when doing some cutting that I know will shorten the life of one-like cutting flashing slots in chimneys and stone foundations. A helper with a water hose keeps the dust down. Those last a lot longer than I ever expected them to, so I ended up getting others for dedicated jobs like in the tractor shed for sharpening bush hog blades, since they are so cheap.

My favorite tailed one is a Makita because of the small diameter of the motor, and the not perfectly circular shape, which makes it easier to have good control.

keep up with the blade wrench. A dedicated toolbox with various disks and accessories helps a lot. I end up using the thin metal cutting disks a lot.

I don't know why sometimes this forums sometimes takes weird control of post formatting.

Not sure where in phila you are, I live near Franklin Mills HF and work in S.Philly.

Could grab one for you if you wanted.

Don't forget the 20% coupon if you go HF.

Hmmm, the Sharon Hill store is close than I thought, especially if I'm going to the Oregon Avenue Home Depot, anyway.

Thanks for the offer, but I guess I'll pick one up myself.

I've never been able to find a Harbor Freight 20% coupon.  Are they on the flyers?  I just gave them my email, so hopefully I'll get some coupons.

Edited by Beechwood Chip

I don't know why sometimes this forums sometimes takes weird control of post formatting.

The moderator ducked!

Water hose and grinder......hmmmmm.....why not window fan and grinder?

My dewalt has a paddle switch but I'm not using it at length wither.