Flattening stone??

bushwacked

Since I'm upgrading my sharpening kit I figured I would start here at the flattening stone since that's most important I feel.

Is there any other good options that compare to the DMT lapping plate? I have read about others but everyone seems to come back to this one with the quality and how long it lasts ... Thoughts?

c156ba59ead066e45514c90e837f9aec.jpg

I use a DMT Extra Coarse DiaSharp 8" x 3" which is .001 flatness over the length of the stone per DMT. It was $46 bucks on sale at woodcraft. Normal price is $59 I believe. I have no complaints for flattening my Shaptons. I also have a naniwa flattening stone, but it's smaller than the shaptons themselves, I don't bother much with that one. 

https://www.dmtsharp.com/resources/dmt-faq/#which-grit-should-i-use

Depends on your personality – if you’re the buy-it-once sort of guy, then I’d get the Dia-Flat. I’ve used just about every method available to flatten stones (including most of the diamond plates available and all those mentioned above) – they all work. The differences come down to speed, cost, maintenance, mess and lifespan... The Dia-Flat completely outclasses every other method and every other diamond plate hands down in every category, except speed and cost – full stop.

I got mine when they first became available and they get used every sharpening session – absolutely no sign of wear... I also use them to true-up and refresh Tormek wheels, flatten the backs of plane irons, sharpen kitchen knives, axes, etc...

The only decision is which mesh to get – medium or fine. The standard plate is 125u and works well for most flattening needs. On a limited production basis (like once a year), you can get the fine-mesh (160) plate (95u) for flattening fine stones. I’ve got both. I’d recommend the standard mesh plate for 99% of applications. I use the fine mesh plate to flatten Natural Japanese Waterstones (colloquially, Jnat)... I’ve been told it’s a mortal sin, but I take my small pleasures where I find them...

Due to cost, they are overkill for most hobby shops -- unless you want to buy now and have a plate that outlasts you...

Here's Chris Schwarz's reviews:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/dmt-introduces-its-dia-flat-plate

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/dmts-dia-flat-takes-a-crazy-beating

• Like 2

I used a smaller DMT XC for years.  Then I tried someone else's Dia-Flat and bought a Dia-Flat.

The DF can be described as a large XXC+ plate.   I also use it for heavy edge shaping and flattening of metal items, not just stone maintenance.   The Atoma seems similar, but is finer and smaller than the DF, and was not easily available when I purchased my DF.

I have the Dia-Flat.  It's awesome.  I'm not gonna spend hundreds of dollars on my stones then flatten them on a waffle iron.

Heavens no! 

iWood 300 for about $40 + shipping or Atoma 400 for about $100. Both of these offer equal or better service for much less. IMO

What Trip said.  I'm sure the two you listed will work...but "equal or better service" is an absurd remark.

• Like 1

I have the Dia-Flat.  It's awesome.  I'm not gonna spend hundreds of dollars on my stones then flatten them on a waffle iron.

What Trip said.  I'm sure the two you listed will work...but "equal or better service" is an absurd remark.

How about equal then, because implying that the DMT is some how better is just as absurd.

I've used an EZ Lap diamond stone in the past, but now that I have a duosharp I'll probably try it out next time.  I've really been liking my diamond stones and strops lately though so the water stones will be relegated to kitchen knife work from here on out most likely. 

How about equal then, because implying that the DMT is some how better is just as absurd.

No it's not.  It has a tighter flatness tolerance and both the grit and binders are of higher quality.  I can't remember all the scientific mumbo-jumbo because it's been a long time since I researched and bought...but the info is out there to find if you're interested.

That doesn't mean you have to have it to get the job done, or that spending the extra money doesn't fall under the diminishing returns category...but it is a superior stone.  It's not really debatable.

==>you guys get so.... emotional

You didn’t get the memo? Neander is a religion with Saint Roy as it godhead... Sharpening is a path to grace rife with dogma, a liturgy, the faithful, the heretics... and... the Inquisition... ... and... No one expects the Inquisition!  Amongst our weaponry are chisels, planes, dovetail saws and an almost fanatical dedication to the card scraper... :)

Back on OP.... I’ve used the Atoma 400 – it works just fine... The deal with the DMT is the size and longevity... After using the 400 for a couple of years, there were signs of wear – not so with the DMT... The 400 is a good product, it's more the way I use diamond plates -- I use them for more than flattening stones... I'm not sure, but using them on the Tormek borders on abuse...

I bought a granite tile with a blotch of different colour on it for a buck.  I use whatever wet/dry sandpaper I have on hand (220 - 400) at the time attached with some spray craft glue.  I have also been known to use a concrete block with water running over it from the hose.

Cheap but effective.  My planes and chisels are deadly sharp.

==>you guys get so.... emotional

You didn’t get the memo? Neander is a religion with Saint Roy as it godhead... Sharpening is a path to grace rife with dogma, a liturgy, the faithful, the heretics... and... the Inquisition... ... and... No one expects the Inquisition!  Amongst our weaponry are chisels, planes, dovetail saws and an almost fanatical dedication to the card scraper... :)

Back on OP.... I’ve used the Atoma 400 – it works just fine... The deal with the DMT is the size and longevity... After using the 400 for a couple of years, there were signs of wear – not so with the DMT... The 400 is a good product, it's more the way I use diamond plates -- I use them for more than flattening stones... I'm not sure, but using them on the Tormek borders on abuse...

Do you used them to flatten the sides of Tormek stones? Since the Tormek T7 comes with a diamond truing tool to square up the stone to the tool bar.

No it's not.  It has a tighter flatness tolerance and both the grit and binders are of higher quality.  I can't remember all the scientific mumbo-jumbo because it's been a long time since I researched and bought...but the info is out there to find if you're interested.

That doesn't mean you have to have it to get the job done, or that spending the extra money doesn't fall under the diminishing returns category...but it is a superior stone.  It's not really debatable.

The dia-flat has a tolerance of +- 0.0005" the atoma have a tolerance +- 0.04mm The difference between the two tolerances is ~0.001". Just holding the plate in your hands to long will throw them both out of tolerance, so that point is mute.

DMT isn't doing anything special, it's all marketing bs. Hence the reason they always use "Diamond Hardcoat Technology" TM, if it was truly a revolutionary process it would be patented, not trademarked.

They both use monocrystalline diamonds as well.

The only thing has the dia-flat has over it's competitors is size (it's physically bigger), everything else is marketing bs, personal preference or different use cases.

Moot.

Well thanks for your opinion.  I think I'll take my information from those with specific experience instead of someone making assumptions from their office chair.  Every objective bit of info I've read on the subject puts the Dia-Flat in a superior class...except for you...who doesn't own one.

• Like 2

Moot.

Well thanks for your opinion.  I think I'll take my information from those with specific experience instead of someone making assumptions from their office chair.  Every objective bit of info I've read on the subject puts the Dia-Flat in a superior class...except for you...who doesn't own one.

lol, believe whatever you want. The reason I don't own one, is because i know several people that do, and they have all said pretty much the same thing, they are bigger, that's it. 

I should add the main reason they last longer, is because they are bigger. The user is spreading the wear out across a larger surface, and thus wearing individual sections of the plate less.

It just kills me when people pooh-pooh things based solely upon their own perspective on value.  The point of diminishing returns is subjective and depends on how much you expect out of an item and how much money you're willing to spend on it.  Just because something is beyond that point for you doesn't make that item any better or worse.  Your decision is based upon if it's worth the cost to you, not if it's worth the price within the market.  It makes it easier for people to justify passing on an item they can't afford or don't want to pay the price for by projecting false attributes onto it.  "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest." - Paul Simon

I can't ever imagine dropping the cash on a Porsche, as much as I'd like to have one.  But I'm not gonna sit here and pretend my wife's Mazda is just as good.

==>flatten the sides of Tormek stones?

Nope. I use it instead of the Tormek SP-650 on the SB wheel... I also use it after the TT-50 to remove the tracks...

I keep experimenting with the Tormek system trying to make it faster... I like the concept and the final edge is AOK for most bench tools, but the speed needs improving... I've made some investments to see if I could improve the system...

I'd kind of given-up on Tormek and would have eBayed all the kit years ago had it not been for double-bevel carving kit -- the Tormek is great for carving kit -- slow, but great... I had religated the Tormek to a second-string summer-only use, but I've doubled-down on Tormek as a bit of an experiment – sharpening one set of chisels on bench stones and one on the Tormek as a kind of ‘shoot-out’... I feel the need get to one system and the Tormek is great for my carving kit, but it’s just not on for Japanese paring and dovetail chisels... We’ll see...