Finally started my lumber rack

estesbubba

One thing I didn't plan very well with my new shop was the lumber storage. I originally was just going to move this into the new space, but as construction progressed and I got my machines and dust collection figured out, this wasn't going to work without getting the way. 

Dr5P_weOa8nRYGtvrQLVn8on2aqux8uYIdKqojRx

After a lot of going back and forth I settled on what I did at our last house - heavy duty standards and shelf brackets. Each bracket is 14" and rated for 150 lbs and I didn't have any problems when I used them before. About $4 for 48" standards and $2 for 14" brackets so not a lot of money. Funny thing is they have smaller brackets, but the smaller they are, the more they cost. 

I got all the standards up today and started moving some of my wood but my legs and back are killing me after all the ladder fun. I think tomorrow I'll pull my fifth wheel hitch out and use the truck. 

C_6tSLxYwUkg0AZPo_5aR2uPcyhg4tMC5C7fFY6K

mdCHIOAQyKkg_k-BbwDCogZw5CpFgbuitht0qH8x

QSWO on the left (still have more to move) and chokecherry on the right.

OqIdQl3Ym2oF6SWnTRYHhg7iW3qaAW7jpBRDXwol

For sheet goods I'm just going to build a mobile cart and keep it in front of the overhead door. I buy sheet goods as needed and don't plan on keeping much around. Of course I've collected too much local hardwoods - mainly because of deals too good to pass up. 

• Like 2

That is going to be nice, Mike.  I looked at you first picture and thought, thats a tough problem to have, coming up with a way to store all that lumber stash:P.  My humble lumber storage is up high like that also, not quite as high but does require a ladder which is the one thing that I don't totally care for.  But it doesn't take up floor space and that out weighs the ladder thing.

I got it moved and it all didn't fit but that's ok as I can keep the rest in my garage. Left side is quarter and rift sawn white oak. Top middle and top right is quarter and rift red oak. Bottom middle is cherry and chokecherry (nice and dark) and bottom right is walnut. Cool thing is every board on the rack is locally milled. 

MFBOhKzQSYtEJ2O6aBIR81eMPdZ88o30PHhAiOXa

sm_7yvAzNJ9vt4Fngfit3NAGJ6MX0WEDuj-4Xo_A

I will never show my shop after seeing yours and others....Nice job and lumber.

I've got shop envy when I see the size of Mike's shop. If only I had a nutty amount of land to put a large building on. You should however post some shop pics. Everyone loves seeing a shop regardless of what's in it, no matter the size, shape, color, or what tools are in it. 

I've got shop envy when I see the size of Mike's shop. If only I had a nutty amount of land to put a large building on. You should however post some shop pics. Everyone loves seeing a shop regardless of what's in it, no matter the size, shape, color, or what tools are in it. 

Seeing shops like these made me realize I'll never get there myself if I don't start destroying my debt. It's helpful to have something to aspire to.

Tom is right Mat, post some pictures of your shop.  Its not about the size of the shop or the tools that are in it.  Its about the fun and enjoyment you get spending time there and building things.  There are probably no two shops alike.  And most are probably garage or basement shops.

Okay, it might be a little about the size of the shop :D But show us you shop.

• Like 1

Mike, shouldn't you be building a Roubo? ;)

Awesome use of the space, and quite an impressive lumber stash. 

Yes I want be working on my Roubo. I had a surgery in July then 6 weeks of 15 lbs of light duty. On Wednesday I have another surgery then 6 more weeks of light duty. Since I have 2 weeks of normal duty I've done my lumber rack and some shop organization. Oh, and a buttload of much needed yard work. 

Come November 1st it's back to no restrictions and back to the Roubo!

• Like 1

Yes I want be working on my Roubo. I had a surgery in July then 6 weeks of 15 lbs of light duty. On Wednesday I have another surgery then 6 more weeks of light duty. Since I have 2 weeks of normal duty I've done my lumber rack and some shop organization. Oh, and a buttload of much needed yard work. 

Come November 1st it's back to no restrictions and back to the Roubo!

Just busting balls, I know you had surgery. What fun would the forum be without a little poking the bear. Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Just busting balls, I know you had surgery.

What fun would the forum be without a little poking the bear. S

ent from my 831C using Tapatalk

that's why we keep,Eric around isn't it?  Resident Bear..

Oh I totally know you were joking! 

Now go spread your mulch!

btw mike, you need to update your website. It still says you work out of the garage and would like to build an outbuilding.. That ship done sailed.

• Like 1

Choke cherry in Northern Indiana...

40-50' mature trees with straight boles. 24-30" diameters for 30' of the bole are common. 

Edit: I am going to have to chase some data. Wikipedia says chokecherry grows to 16'. I need to research what it is that we call chokecherry. 

*After fact checking, I am fairly certain my dad got me calling wild black cherry chokecherry in error. 

Edited by C Shaffer