Rosewood Entertainment Center

Dknapp34

Thanks, everyone! It was a fun project, but a little stressful knowing that if I screwed something up, I wouldn't be able to get more material to fix it.    

Looks great. What's the plan for the wires? I've been staring at ugly wires for 4 years now. It's so easy to fix it 10 different ways but I haven't.

I've got an IR Blaster hooked up to the components, so I can have everything enclosed in the cabinet.  Plan is to put the wires running from the TV behind the wall.

Nice job! How did you cut the miters? I had a tough time getting large miters and wound building a huge panel sled. Always looking for easier ways and that looks perfect!

Thanks!  The miters were what I was most worried about, but they actually turned out to be really easy.  I just used a sacrificial fence on my table saw, ran the blade at 45 degrees at the exact height of the thickness of the ply with the tip of the blade just touching the sacrificial fence.  It's a pretty fool proof technique, because the top of the miter runs along fence, so there's no way to over cut it.  If the miter isn't perfectly straight the first time, you can just take a second pass to clean it up.  They came out just about perfect right off the saw, but I also rolled the edges over gently with a burnisher while the glue was drying, to make sure no gaps popped up.

Well done man. Can you post some more pics? Some of the interior? Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

I'll see if I can snap a few more when I get home tonight.  Not much to look at on inside though.  I had to use birch ply for the bottom and dividers, because I didn't have enough of the rosewood.  Actually, I had enough to do the bottom, but then I wouldn't have been able to pick the best grain for the front doors, so I chose the doors over the bottom, since it doesn't show anyway.  Dividers are dadoed in and so is the back panel, which is 1/4" rosewood ply (the guy I bought the 3/4" ply from had an offcut that was just big enough and he gave it to me for free with the 3/4" inch ply).

You definitely did justice to that unique piece of plywood ... great job!

Is it just me, or is there a sinister face in the left-hand door bookmatch.

Must be a Rorschach test, I see two guitars.

Well done man. Can you post some more pics? Some of the interior? Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

Here's a few more pics.  Sorry for the crappy quality, took them on my phone.

IMG_0804.thumb.JPG.2cfc77e4a28646d8b4f30 

Here are the SOSS hinges.  They're high quality hinges and would be great for some applications, but I wouldn't recommend them for this type of cabinet.  Since the doors rest on the shelves and sit flush with the center dividers, there is a reveal all the way around the door that needed to be really small or else the lighter birch ply on the inside would show.  The SOSS hinges don't really allow for any adjustability other than mortising the hinge deeper to make the reveal smaller.  Since the hinge is mortised into the side of the cabinet, which is only 3/4" deep, I didn't really have any room to work with there, so I had to mortise it pretty far into the door to get the right fit:

IMG_0805.thumb.JPG.1707616312f3bd21e6269

Here's the back and a tangle of cords that I haven't cleaned up yet.  I cut holes at the top of left and right back panels to allow heat to escape.  The rectangular holes in the recessed portion are for running cords through and for heat to get out. 

IMG_0807.thumb.JPG.916e6365da5a4f3d73e91

• Like 2