Griz longevity.

Brendon_t

It's been brought up so many times recently that this brand is a great bang for your buck, that brand will last longer.. Yada yada.  

This band saw is under a year old. Already replaced 1 upper bearing, 2 lower bearings, tires due to them being very lumpy from the factory, had missing fence parts from the factory and now today.

saw is set for tension on a 3/8" blade,  I was adjusting the lower bearings when the plate snapped pushing the blade forward into the guard probably ruining the teeth on a blade that has cut one piece of wood..  The sound it made was definitely a bang.

fool me once..

5a487765b8d3da9ed1f7f518580cdbdc.jpg

28d41ee4aa860150290451a9d65e6e5f.jpg

maybe that is what happens when you fully tension a low tension blade on a hobby saw? :)  

Seriously that sucks.  I only made the joke above because a couple of us have struggled with the right tension for a timberwolf blade.   I stopped using mine on my PM1500 because it required more tension than I wanted to give it, and the PM1500 is built like a tank.  

34 minutes ago, Al Capwn said:

Sucks to hear/see - have you contacted Griz to see what they can do for you?

I have not, it happened after they had already closed their call center but they'll

definitely  be hearing from me tomorrow.

29 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Yep.  But it seems like you can't convince people...they have to experience it themselves.  I've learned my lesson.  No mas for me.

I know, that was the entire point of the post. Straight up fact on a 10month old saw.

Hey Cliff, got a deal for you.

23 minutes ago, Mike. said:

maybe that is what happens when you fully tension a low tension blade on a hobby saw? :)  

Seriously that sucks.  I only made the joke above because a couple of us have struggled with the right tension for a timberwolf blade.   I stopped using mine on my PM1500 because it required more tension than I wanted to give it, and the PM1500 is built like a tank.  

No man I deserve it. I had read the warnings and did it anyway.  I'm shopping for a replacement right now that very well may be mustard yellow.

9 minutes ago, Al Capwn said:

Yikes. Well, sounds like yours certainly was a dud - hopefully might doesn't explode as fantastically as that.

Hope not but take care.  When it let go and completely un tensioned, the spinning blade jumped at least a full inch forward biting at the insert.  If a hand was closer,  it wouldn't have cared. 

Yikes!  That's bad luck.  Makes me cringe, because I have the 555LX bandsaw, which is essentially the same model with a different color.  I'm going to just gauge the tension manually by pushing the blade sideways with my finger from now on... No need to tempt fate...

54 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Hey Cliff, got a deal for you.

Lol

33 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Hope not but take care.  When it let go and completely un tensioned, the spinning blade jumped at least a full inch forward biting at the insert.  If a hand was closer,  it wouldn't have cared. 

Were you spinning the wheel by hand or was the saw powered up?

4 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Lol

Were you spinning the wheel by hand or was the saw powered up?

That puppy was fully spooled up and going. I had taken the blade guard off to spray compressed air around the head for cleaning. I'm happy I put it back on about 3 minutes prior.

6 minutes ago, Arrdenet said:

Yikes!  That's bad luck.  Makes me cringe, because I have the 555LX bandsaw, which is essentially the same model with a different color.  I'm going to just gauge the tension manually by pushing the blade sideways with my finger from now on... No need to tempt fate...

The problem is that they claim you can run a 3/4" blade on this saw... That has to be a joke right? There is NO POSSIBLE way this thing would be able to properly tension a thick blade that size. I've always felt I wasn't even getting good enough tension on a 1/2" blade.  The fact that the piece broke with 3/8" tension on the gauge only reinforces this theory to me. The blade was still fluttering so much it was touching both guides that had been opened all the way up so call it almost 1/2 of lateral blade movement.They are either delusional or outright lying to their customers.

That really sucks.  Maybe buy a higher quality saw next time, like a PM, MiniMax, or a higher end Grizzly saw.

Grizzly should really separate their models in two different company names, like Jet/Powermatic, so they can sell the Harbor Freight junk they carry under the cheap name and the decent stuff under a different name.  Breakages like this are why people assume everything Grizzly makes is junk.

Fortunately there are hundreds of people that are completely satisfied with their Griz purchases. For every failure within 1 year, there are probably 10 that last 15 years.

I'm sure they have an expected failure rate within x number of months. Whatever that is. May be as high as 10-15%. Who knows. Less than one year is clearly unacceptable and hopefully they take would care of business. Eric giving up on a jointer after five years is fine, but it did last five years (and it does seem the motor probably needs replaced.) Is five years for $1100 on a new machine a good deal or a bad deal? I suppose that depends on your usage and your expectations. If I buy a Grizzly for $1000, knowing how much more a nice PM model costs - I'm hoping for over five years but not counting on it. Not only that, but I recall seeing at least one other Grizzly product in Eric's garage that he hasn't had to toss out a window. How many others are there that I don't remember?

Despite Eric's words of people not learning from their mistakes - the evidence on the interwebs as a whole seems to be positive. Tons of people are very very satisfied and think it's a great deal. So does a nooblet woodworker learn their lesson from 2 guys on a forum that got duds or the general consensus? More importantly, do you wait however long it takes to save up 3x more to buy the best? When you are in that phase where you literally cannot do quality work without something to get you by?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Fortunately there are hundreds of people that are completely satisfied with their Griz purchases. For every failure within 1 year, there are probably 10 that last 15 years.

There is absolutely no way of knowing if this is even remotely true.  

20 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Despite Eric's words of people not learning from their mistakes - the evidence on the interwebs as a whole seems to be positive. Tons of people are very very satisfied and think it's a great deal. 

Do you have blinders on? 

<insert Michael Jackson 'I'm just here for the comments' picture here>

In all seriousness though, Grizzly makes budget-to-mid grade stuff. It does suck that the unit experienced catastrophic (and dangerous) failure. So far Eric and Brendon have experienced failures in their products - and if I were in their shoes, I probably wouldn't be purchasing their brand, either.

Personal experience and emotion often trump anecdotal statistics. If I had a Powermatic machine eat it in a year, I probably wouldn't purchase that brand again because, "I bought Powermatic because I shouldn't have to worry about crap like this" regardless of their sterling reputation.

Cliff is right in some regards - each company has an expected mean-time-between-failure or failure rate, and we are dealing with a small sample rate. However, I would "educated guess" that Powermatic's failure rate is a lot lower than Grizzly's, but that comes with an increase cost in price.

So, BT is sharing his personal experience, albeit a negative one. He hasn't said that nobody should purchase a Grizzly tool. He has only stated that his negative experience with this tool precludes him from further purchases with that company. Which is a pretty reasonable statement that could apply to any brand - it is just that you will likely hear that more often in regards to certain tools or certain brands. For example, based upon a Black and Decker ROS literally exploding, I will never be purchasing a B&D product - that is a personal choice based upon my experience and not based on statistical averages.

I would be hustling Grizzly customer service to send me an upgraded unit for my time, the dangerous way it failed, and the constant stream of issues experienced.

• Like 2

I'm on with Griz customer service now.

They want Me to disassemble the saw,  pack it on pallets, and return  it for service. Otherwise, they will send the parts and have me do the work to repair it.  Nobody could answer if me doing the work voids existing warranties since it says you cannot work on your own tool. They will then assess it and repair what is needed then send it back if it is deemed satisfactory 

I've got 1 month left on the warranty, I'd be willing to bet by the time I get it back,  it will be out of warranty and off of their plate.