Custom Artwork Frame - completed/installed

rodger.

My wife recently inherited a water colour piece from her grandmother's estate.  She was very happy to receive it this week, and asked me to frame it for her.  I thought this would be a good opportunity to dust off my camera, and do a new journal  (It's been a while since i posted one).

I talked design with my wife a bit, and we agreed on cherry for the wood species to match the coffee table I built awhile back (there is a journal on this if you are interested).

When I started mentioning inlays or other fun aspects to build, she gently said "no thanks" and asked for a simple, clean looking frame.  I may be able to get away with putting a bead on there, or perhaps some walnut splines - we shall see as the project progresses.  Here is the sketch up design, with no details:

569aeae84c657_0-sketchupplan.thumb.jpg.6

First off, the art was done by a local Nova Scotia artist (local to her late grandmothers location), so I needed a custom mat made.  I brought the artwork to a customer mat maker to be cut, but I recorded the mat makers dimensions.  With these dimensions, I made a cardboard template to use in construction of the project.

569aec3ee6503_1-matttemplate.thumb.jpg.1

Then I laid out my rough stock, getting ready to cut it into rough pieces.  Each rough piece will be about 48" x 3 5/8".

569aec8c0c3be_2roughstock.thumb.jpg.579c

Then I took out my "bandsaw"  and and ripped the materials:

569aed3697622_3manualbandsaw.thumb.jpg.8

3.1 manual band saw 2.jpg

The ripping notch comes in really handy on wider boards

569aed609d2c4_3.2manualbandsaw3.thumb.jp

This saw bench is really a very handy item to have around.  I built it from plans in Tom Fidgen's 2nd book.  I posted the bench to the project showcase section a long time ago, and my bench was even featured on Tom Fidgen's website.  If you are in need of a saw bench, this one is tough to beat.  It's also a lot of fun to build!

Here are the rough cuts placed back in their original orientation:

569aee65f23ee_4-roughstockroughcut.thumb

Then, with the rough stock in manageable sticks, I ran each piece over the jointer a few times to flatten the faces and remove some bulk.  Next, I ran the work pieces through the thickness planer to get them to about 7/8".

I labelled everything well (planeing direction, orientation, and "top side")

569aeeeb0e092_5labelled.thumb.jpg.00c78c

And then stickered for the night:

569aef2867228_6-stickeredformovement.thu

Tomorrow I will re-flatten, plane, and then get ready for some joinery.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my frame back from the glazier, and cut some 1/8" mdf to fit the back.  I have a "pointing gun", so I used that to secure the back.

Next up was install.  This thing is heavy, so I went with a french cleat.  I simply prepared some 2.25" stock, about 20" long, and ripped it at 45 degrees.

I installed one half on the wall.

26.thumb.jpg.48be5dbd6e864cb596ee0bdbb3d

You can see that I am covering up an area designed for an LCD TV.  We had one here for a while, but didnt like it.  It's above a gas fireplace, and its too high to watch comfortably.

Then I cut 2 inches off of the mating piece (to allow for centering the art on the wall), and attached the cleat to the back of the frame.  I drilled pilot holes in the cleat, and placed screws in.  I clamped it where I wanted, drove the screws in enough to dimple the frame, removed the cleat, and drilled some pilot holes.

30.thumb.jpg.4fcae328ee1ec58bf2bf9a1646e

Then I waxed the screws and drove them in by hand.  They are self tapping screws, but I waxed and pre-dilled for them anyway - just in case!

then I took the offcuts from the cleat, and trimmed them with a bench hook.  I cleaned them up so I could use them to balance the frame on the wall (same thickness as the cleat).

30.1.thumb.jpg.40e4700fba8659f06e2f1e7ba

32.thumb.jpg.8a97714e2e37fe63e26f8611627

Then I put it all together

33.thumb.jpg.7a03a5b650c86dd7856b8369553

and I hung it on the wall - I was pleased that it was dead level.

34.thumb.jpg.fce972728ba76b558d7481e5905

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Frame looks great, Pug! Is there an interesting history behind the artwork?

It was a watercolour painting that my wife had always admired in her grandmothers home.  She passed in the previous year, and this was sent to my wife via her father.

Its a local artist's work (local to nova scotia), and has been around for at least 30 years.  Its a view through a paned window of the Annapolis Basin.

• Like 1