Estimating for material purchase

I searched the threads but couldn't find one.

I have to build a set of kitchen cabinets (long story - rental property that rentors wrecked) and I love the challenge.

Because I am not very good at finishing (and I have a lot to fix on a tight budget) I am going to go with solid Walnut and a Tung Oil finish which I can do everything by myself.

I read online that an easy way to calculate material needs is to figure out the area in sq feet and you would have the board feet + 15% should be good enough.

Is this a good way to do it? I have about 70 sq feet and by that way I am needing to buy about 80 bf and would like to get the wood as close to matching as possible at once as apposed to going to pick up as required. 

I did math both ways on my cabinets. 1 calculating each cut and another taking the square footage. It came out close the sq ft way adding 15% should be good enough.

For me plywood conveniently has been equal to the solid lumber for cost. But i'd do the math on that and double check. You'll need sides and bottom so the math is easy.

Just making doors is a little different, might be more enjoyable than making plywood boxes all day.  But the guys above are making a point that you should consider a little more... your cost per door isnt just $20 + $10 = $30.

Rather, it is $20 + $10 + (hours spent per door * hourly rate). 

Estimate how long it will take to make each door, including all the basic steps, like milling the wood and sanding, etc...and your cost per door is more likely to be nearing $50 even at a $10 hourly rate.  But to be clear, I've also done some home projects at a $0 rate just for fun or just because I want the experience...but you should calculate the real number if the rental is an actual investment you are hoping to make money on.

Once you know how much it is going to cost you if you do the work, you should check around... google or YP there are usually companies that specialize in making doors.  you give them the measurements of the opening and they make the doors.  You can even order doors through Rockler.

Thanks guys for all your opinions

I have decided that if I can do them by myself that is how I am going to go. I have a progressively worsening muscle problem and was a farmer for most of my life, doing this is fun for me as I have been building things my whole life, this is something new. I have all my benches set for office chair height and it keeps me moving and I enjoy it and am teaching myself as I go along. 

Due to my farming background I am cheap and I was just making sure I had a rough idea on calculating what I need and did get the post I was looking for. Thanks chestnut.

ncfowler   do you have a contact there? I am a freight forwarder by trade now and I would be intrested in calculating my shipping costs on top of what they would quote for the job.

if anyone is interested I went to town yesterday and bought a couple boards and glued up a door, using shorts the actual number worked out to square feet × 25%.

Total material cost will be just under 600.00 for solid walnut. Now I have an actual number to get an estimate on getting them built by someone else.