Minimax mm20 restore

Tom Cancelleri

Euro kit.... In my shop?

So I'm just doing my random check on Craigslist for tools to see what's out there. Guy lists an MM20 for $1200. I text him, he replies saying he'll bring it to my shop to test it out and drop it off.

Calls me today, says hey I got that saw loaded up in my trailer I can bring it by this afternoon, the cast iron had some rust on it, I could clean it up but it's hell to move it. I'll take a couple hundred off the price if you don't mind cleaning that up. Sure, not a problem.

Being that I'm really good at restoring tools to like new condition, the challenge was on.

So for $1000 I got a minimax mm20 with 4.8hp motor, a carbide blade, and some other random blades delivered.

I powered it on, made some test cuts, checked for wobble, and horrible noises. All is well, just rusty table, blade guard, and some saw dust.

6004df14c56fc64a8f58f7c57f56a89f.jpg

627d5f9abc75291c61b3483822e70f6e.jpg

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Serious score man. What size carbide blade did you get?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

He didn't bring the carbide blade with him. Gonna get it Sunday. He's got a ton of equipment to sell, 36" dual drum sander, moulding planer, and all sorts of other stuff. He took a half day from work to bring me the saw. He's got the blades packed in a box. Moved here from Florida, took his shop with him. Put it in storage. Already started cleaning it up. That rust wipes right off.

Serious score man. What size carbide blade did you get?Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

He didn't bring the carbide blade with him. Gonna get it Sunday. He's got a ton of equipment to sell, 36" dual drum sander, moulding planer, and all sorts of other stuff. He took a half day from work to bring me the saw. He's got the blades packed in a box. Moved here from Florida, took his shop with him. Put it in storage. Already started cleaning it up. That rust wipes right off.

Sweet man. So is he bringing you that drum sander tomorrow? No excuses, you are working from home tomorrow. No space, not an issue, you live alone, put it in your dining room !!!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, Woodenskye said:

Damn Tom, that turned out to be an even better deal.  Even if you had to put $500 into it, you are still well ahead of the game.  Enjoy. 

It needs a couple of small things. The red power button escutcheon. Maybe I'll get some new tires, though these seem ok. Needs new foam around the doors, it's kind of dry and compressed, and some new tire brushes. There are a few scratches on the spine that I'll touch up with some paint.

bs1.jpg

bs2.jpg

13 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

Nice find Tom.  Can't what to see you bring that baby back to life.  I'm curious whats one of those new go for?

The new ones go for $4,355 plus $299 freight. I priced one out 6 months ago. When this one was bought back in 2005, they went for around $3,000

It's gigantic!

bsgigantic.jpg

The tires are easy to put on.  I used a heat gun to warm the new ones up for my Centauro 600 (virtually the same as MM24 using most of the same parts), and they went right on.  There is a groove on the wheel that aligns them perfectly.

Do a google search for "SCM parts pronto", and you will find the contact info for parts, and manual downloads with all the parts numbers.  They are real pleasant to deal with on the phone, and the parts come out of Georgia, which was just two days for me with regular shipping.  You do have to register with them to get the downloads, but I never had any trouble with that.

They told me they probably had every part in stock for the 24, and I would expect the same for the 20.

• Like 1

Just now, Tom King said:

The tires are easy to put on.  I used a heat gun to warm the new ones up for my Centauro 600 (virtually the same as MM24 using most of the same parts), and they went right on.  There is a groove on the wheel that aligns them perfectly.

Do a google search for "SCM parts pronto", and you will find the contact info for parts, and manual downloads.  They are real pleasant to deal with on the phone, and the parts come out of Georgia, which was just two days for me with regular shipping.  You do have to register with them to get the downloads, but I never had any trouble with that.

They told me they probably had every part in stock for the 24, and I would expect the same for the 20.

I registered with Parts Pronto on Tuesday night, in anticipation of getting the saw. I'm waiting on an account number. Gonna call tomorrow. I'm trying to figure out how to get the top wheel off, so I can take out the chain and sprocket mechanism and clean it. There's rust on the shaft of it and it's a little stiff to adjust. Plus I wanna get everything behind the wheel clean. 

Yeah, I expect you will need a puller.  That's probably the main reason I put mine back together.  I was going to change the bearing anyway, but didn't have a puller big enough, and if it ain't broke...............

It's cut over 10,000 lineal feet since I've had it, and it was put up wet after years of use before I got it.  It's a beast.

13 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

I've never heard of the brand MiniMax before. Ate they a European maker? 

Ever hear of SCM? It's made by SCM, their bandsaws are called MiniMax for some reason. 

Now for today's big LOL. I called and ordered some parts (new tires, new throat plate, switch cover and button) I figured I'd get a new block for the blade to ride through where the dust collection port is.

This little plywood block with a groove on each edge and a cut where the blade runs through is an astronomical $43.10 I was hoping I misheard him and that it was 4 for $3.10. I said skip that I'll make one, easy enough. 

wb2.jpg

wb1.jpg

42 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

This little plywood block with a groove on each edge and a cut where the blade runs through is an astronomical $43.10

Maybe they are making them out of marine grade ply :D

Are you going to have enough power to run that beast or are you going to have to ask the neighbors to turn off their lights every time you want to power up?

• Like 1

Just now, Chet K. said:

Maybe they are making them out of marine grade ply :D

Are you going to have enough power to run that beast or are you going to have to ask the neighbors to turn off their lights every time you want to power up?

Haha, I'm actually putting in a new sub panel in a few weeks, and running 220 all over the place. I could run 1 30 amp item at a time.