woodworking podcasts

weelis

I'd start with the archives if you've got a lot of traveling to do. I make a 9 hour trip back and forth from FL to NC and listening to their shows has made the trip so much more tolerable. They are on about show # 315 or so, each about an hour long so you have a lot of information there. Good stuff along with friendly banter between the 3 guys.

The nice thing is that they post references and videos of the things they talk about on the show making it easier to go back and look at something you might have been interested in while listening.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Does Android have a podcast app? I would assume so but don't know as I've never used one. If they do, just open that app and search for Wood Talk.

Yeah, podcast addict is a decent app for that on Android. You can find all the woodworking podcasts with it.

• Like 1

In my opinion Woodtalk is the best by far. Fine woodworking's is listenable. The Woodworking Podcast i listen to but I really feel like it needs to be more about woodworking and less about content creation or meetups or air compressors, etc. The other two I couldn't get more than a few episodes into before stopping. 

• Like 1

I'd say your best bet is the podcast this forum was made from haha.  Fine woodworking is good, wish there were more.  There's maker cast which is pretty interesting but the host just sounds like an ax murderer or something. 

11 minutes ago, Cliff said:

In my opinion Woodtalk is the best by far. Fine woodworking's is listenable. The Woodworking Podcast i listen to but I really feel like it needs to be more about woodworking and less about content creation or meetups or air compressors, etc. The other two I couldn't get more than a few episodes into before stopping. 

Haha I listen to that one as well to waste time, I've never watched the woman's youtube channel, but listening to her, she doesn't seem to know much about woodworking in my opinion, assume she's a diy person.

2 minutes ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

I'd say your best bet is the podcast this forum was made from haha.  Fine woodworking is good, wish there were more.  There's maker cast which is pretty interesting but the host just sounds like an ax murderer or something. 

Haha I listen to that one as well to waste time, I've never watched the woman's youtube channel, but listening to her, she doesn't seem to know much about woodworking in my opinion, assume she's a diy person.

She is definitely a diy person. She's gotten more into woodworking since triton outfitted her entire shop. I respect what she does, and watch just because she might teach me something - but I'd certainly hesitate to refer to her as a woodworker. 

4 minutes ago, Cliff said:

She is definitely a diy person. She's gotten more into woodworking since triton outfitted her entire shop. I respect what she does, and watch just because she might teach me something - but I'd certainly hesitate to refer to her as a woodworker. 

Yea, I don't remember what they were talking about one show but she had no clue about the simple subject, and I was like wth, she's on a woodworking podcast and doesn't know about that.

1 minute ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

Yea, I don't remember what they were talking about one show but she had no clue about the simple subject, and I was like wth, she's on a woodworking podcast and doesn't know about that.

True, but on the other hand - she represents a faction of the audience that may also be clueless. I figure there is room for everyone. 

Just now, Llama said:

The word you're looking for is pandering. 

Hmm Yeah I dunno. Because lets be honest, she could literally do anything and guys will tune in. She's cute. So the content itself isn't selling her channel. She's just finding her way and doing her thing. Her thing is not at the level of fine woodworking but it serves a purpose. She has more original thoughts in her head than I do, so I don't judge too harshly :)

I personally hope she goes down the route Jay Bates has and I can see that transition into furniture. 

1 hour ago, Cliff said:

Hmm Yeah I dunno.

Nothing against her at all... That's just how the majority of the DIY Youtube channels are. Not faulting her for a particular skill level... More to the point, because she has a dedicated base she is less likely to abandon that and start making "nicer" things. Her channel is in the same category as Mere Mortals...

You have to admit, that even you have grown quite a bit since you started. Now imagine yourself in this for as long as she has, and with sponsorship. The natural progression is to continue to stretch your skills. Those channels rarely do that because of their business model.

• Like 1

Yeah its like Llama said. One of my best friends has become a fairly successful Youtube woodworker (~15k subs after his first year). He and I have talked a lot about this same subject. He totally has the skill and equipment to build the type of fine furniture that those of us on this forum typically build. However, due to his viewer base and sponsorships, he'll continue to mainly do projects with MDF etc., shop organization, or other smaller projects. That business model is successful for him and he's able to make a lot more money that way. Fine woodworking is a very niche market apparently, while the more DiY stuff and basic woodworking is just exploding right now. Not my cup of tea, but its always interesting talking to him and seeing all of this from the content creators viewpoint.

Yeah its like Llama said. One of my best friends has become a fairly successful Youtube woodworker (~15k subs after his first year). He and I have talked a lot about this same subject. He totally has the skill and equipment to build the type of fine furniture that those of us on this forum typically build. However, due to his viewer base and sponsorships, he'll continue to mainly do projects with MDF etc., shop organization, or other smaller projects. That business model is successful for him and he's able to make a lot more money that way. Fine woodworking is a very niche market apparently, while the more DiY stuff and basic woodworking is just exploding right now. Not my cup of tea, but its always interesting talking to him and seeing all of this from the content creators viewpoint.

15k subs is considered fairly successful? I thought it took hundreds of thousands of subs and many million views to even make an average living? I really don't know it's just what ive heard. I've always been curious what it takes to be "successful" on Youtube.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Shane, I was listening to the 'Making It' podcast recently, and each of the hosts mentioned that Youtube is only one of several income streams they produce content for. Patreon, podcast donations, sponsorships, contracted content, blogs, selling plans, and occasionally even selling the actual products, are all part of earning their living.

• Like 2

Yeah his main income comes through sponsors. He gets plenty of tools and accessories to use in projects but then also gets paid directly from a company to do project videos. For example, some tool company will pay a certain amount of money for him to do a project video using their tools. I know he's done some CNC stuff for Tools Today where he proposes a project and they pay him cash to do the video. They also then provide any bits and blades he wants and often pay for materials. On top of the stuff like that, he's received pretty much every product Rockler makes etc. He's had to really take the initiative and actively seek out these opportunities, and while the projects usually aren't the kind of woodworking I want to do, it's really cool to see him doing well and it sure seems to be a pretty lucrative gig for him. Shane, to answer your question, yeah for Youtube itself to be your main income source you need to be in the multi-hundred thousands subs range. However, if you can put out good content with high quality video/audio, the sponsorships will start rolling in even with the lower subscriber count and will provide way more income than Youtube itself will. I'd never want to do it personally, takes way too much time away from actual woodworking, but definitely interesting to hear about from his perspective.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Llama said:

Nothing against her at all... That's just how the majority of the DIY Youtube channels are. Not faulting her for a particular skill level... More to the point, because she has a dedicated base she is less likely to abandon that and start making "nicer" things. Her channel is in the same category as Mere Mortals...

You have to admit, that even you have grown quite a bit since you started. Now imagine yourself in this for as long as she has, and with sponsorship. The natural progression is to continue to stretch your skills. Those channels rarely do that because of their business model.

Yeah very true. When you are in it for the business your goal is to make money.