Bose Wave

Coop

My wife just returned from a visit with relatives. One had a Bose Wave III and now she wants one. I see that there is now a Wave IV. Those of you familiar with Bose, is it worth the extra $100 plus for the IV. I need to but two of these.

I can't give you any info on those particular models but the wave design is incredible.  I have a brother in law that has an early version and the sound was really something for the size.  Also I have had a Bose stereo in my family room since the late 80's and haven't had any problems with it.

Lots of folks don't know that Altec Lansing, JBL and Bose all 3 envolved Johanne Bose Lansing at least in the beginning. I think he either sold out his share or disagreed and moved on only to start over using a different part of his name. Details , sequence and spelling may not be exact.

19 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

I think there is some confusion about James Bullough Lansing (not his birth name) of Altec Lansing and JBL (in that order) and Dr. Amar Bose of the Bose Corp. :)

I guess the story I was told was at least 1/3 wrong. Oh well, live and learn.

I would never spend the money on a Bose home theatre system because the value just isn't there. Same for a major home sound system. That being said, I have a set of Bose computer speakers that sound great, and the Bose sound in my GMC truck is the best automotive sound system I've ever had.

I think their strength is in making small systems for small spaces.

I have some of their products.

The wave radio sounds good. I haven't heard anything like it that size.  My Sonos gear (which I also own) sounds better.  But Sonos is part of an expensive system and a little bigger.   A wave radio is perfect if you just want a simple device to listen to CDs or your MP3 player of choice.  

I also have the acoustimas 2 channel system (two cubes and a sub) in my kitchen.   Its all hidden from plain view and actually sounds really good for a kitchen system.  It is hooked up to a sonos amp so I can stream music to it from my iphone.  Much better than in wall speakers. 

The 901s (which are like $1200/pr) do sound good if properly powered and equalized.  I don't own them but have heard them in other peoples homes.  You have to like a wide sound stage. 

Bose is a personal taste.  Some people think it is all marketing and overpriced because they don't publish many specs.  Others say "who cares what the specs are, if it sounds good, it sounds good".  I am more of the latter, I trust my ears over the numbers.  

I do have other systems that sound much much better, but they were also much  much more expensive.  

Focusing just on sound quality, Bose like to use a "Bose curve" for their systems that resembles a U: really boost the lows and highs. This can be fine for background listening as it will be heard over conversation but is lousy for any other purpose. Most people respond positively to this boost as it sounds to the casual ear clearer and louder at similar volumes than a properly balanced system. This is true of any system that sounds louder than another; try it at an audio store sometime. That's why Best Buy's sales droids crank the systems that they're getting comped on that week.

You can do better for less money and get speakers and a system that both sound great for casual listening AND great for active listening. To put it another way, Bose systems are like an overpriced bench table saw. It's okay for general wood butchery but you wouldn't want to do any serious woodworking with it, and it's costly for what it does do.

That said, most folks are content with okay-looking gear that's okay at doing the job. And, happy wife, happy life. Some battles are worth fighting, others it's good to know when to let the enemy take that hill.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ClassAct said:

Focusing just on sound quality, Bose like to use a "Bose curve" for their systems that resembles a U: really boost the lows and highs. This can be fine for background listening as it will be heard over conversation but is lousy for any other purpose. Most people respond positively to this boost as it sounds to the casual ear clearer and louder at similar volumes than a properly balanced system. This is true of any system that sounds louder than another; try it at an audio store sometime. That's why Best Buy's sales droids crank the systems that they're getting comped on that week.

You can do better for less money and get speakers and a system that both sound great for casual listening AND great for active listening. To put it another way, Bose systems are like an overpriced bench table saw. It's okay for general wood butchery but you wouldn't want to do any serious woodworking with it, and it's costly for what it does do.

That said, most folks are content with okay-looking gear that's okay at doing the job. And, happy wife, happy life. Some battles are worth fighting, others it's good to know when to let the enemy take that hill.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  For 90% of people, a good sounding, small box like the wave radio is all they need and want.  In fact my wife asked for one years ago and instead I bought her a much better sounding mini component system and separate speakers.  She was like "what is all this crap.  Its for my kitchen, not a bachelor pad.  Does it come with a black leather sofa too?"

Separates will always sound better, but there is a time and place.

I don't know about a Bose wave radio, but I do know that the radio will never sound as good as Pandora, or digital media. We have a Bose Soundlink Mini.  ( https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/wireless_speakers/soundlink_mini_ii.html?mc=K2861305&gclid=CPXwxdS8kc4CFVcvgQodTDoKGQ ) It is wireless, rechargeable, and it sounds AMAZING. It sounds as good as the Harman Kardon stereo in the Wife's Mini Cooper. 

8 minutes ago, BeautysBeast said:

I don't know about a Bose wave radio, but I do know that the radio will never sound as good as Pandora, or digital media. We have a Bose Soundlink Mini.  ( https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/wireless_speakers/soundlink_mini_ii.html?mc=K2861305&gclid=CPXwxdS8kc4CFVcvgQodTDoKGQ ) It is wireless, rechargeable, and it sounds AMAZING. It sounds as good as the Harman Kardon stereo in the Wife's Mini Cooper. 

The wave Radio is a CD player with an AM/FM radio.  The newer models also have bluetooth capability, so you can stream Pandora or Spotify from your tablet to the wave radio.   It will do everything the soundlink does (and then some), it is just not as portable.

I don't know for certain, but does the radio require electricity? The soundlink is rechargable.

I do know the radio costs more than twice the price of the soundlink. 

In this day and age, do people listen to CD's anymore? I prefer digital music. Cant scratch, melt, or skip, and costs less. As for the radio, I can't stand listening to radio anymore. To much talking, not enough music. 

I prefer to just carry my music on my phone. Easy to do, and you always have your playlists. I have a small, cheap, bluetooth speaker in my shop even. 

What range do you have? People I know with the sound link have to keep their phone right next to the unit.  If you move like 20ft away it is all static. 

No, I really don't use CDs anymore.  I either stream from Spotify's premium service or play vinyl records.  I like Spotify because their library is comprehensice and you can build your own playlists.  Its a good deal for $10/month IMO. 

No the wave radio is not portable and must plug into a wall.  The sound quality is better than the sound link but you lose portability. 

I can go anywhere in my house, or my shop. On my cheap headset, I can leave my phone in the shop, and mow the entire acre and a half without loosing compatibility. Im not sure what the range is, but I will have to experiment. I will report what I find. 

We seldom use the soundlink any more. We have a JVL bluetooth soundbar for the TV that sounds really nice. I think it is more the acoustics of the room, then the soundbar itself.

Huh, I guess the airwaves are just more congested in my area.  I have maybe a 20ft range with bluetooth before it starts to lose the signal.  Even in my car I use a UBS cable instead of bluetooth because bluetooth will cut out when I am in the city (which is most of the time).

The quality of sound perceived will vary with the listener.  This is more so for me as I get older.  A Bose Wave customer will be different than an MP3 listener who will be different than a Bob Carver customer.

This is s highly subjective area and if someone like the Wave, that is the best choice for them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TIODS said:

Just my opinion but, Bose is way over priced!  There is other stuff out there that I prefer the sound of that is a few dollars less.

I built here a craft building w/ a flat screen, but now she wants something compact that she can play her cd's on and listen to music, both in her building and in our family room. The only time I listen to music is 60's, in my truck, cranked up way too loud! What is the "other stuff" that I should consider? Thanks all for your replies.

• Like 1

A while back my wife wanted something compact to play hur cd,s also..I asked hur what she wanted and she said it doesnt matter..I told hur to get what you like and she came home with a 35.00 $ cd player and loves it..Sounds like crap to me..For myself l have always installed nice sound systems in my trucks also..Park my truck in the shop after work at times ,grab a cold beer and enjoy..I guess this is what old people do.

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I built here a craft building w/ a flat screen, but now she wants something compact that she can play her cd's on and listen to music, both in her building and in our family room. The only time I listen to music is 60's, in my truck, cranked up way too loud! What is the "other stuff" that I should consider? Thanks all for your replies.

Ultimately, it depends on how "compact" you want/need.

Take a trip to Best Buy (or decent store in your area) and test drive the options.  Maybe you can install a receiver, disc player, and a couple speakers..  Maybe it all needs to be in one box...