Walnut Armoire/closet extension

Pwk5017

Sounds like a great project and I'm eager to follow along.

My advice - stop, make some drawings before cutting anything else. Know where you're going - you owe it to the wood.

I hear you about the jointer. We have a 16" Northfield at school. Leaning over that thing is an exercise in focus.

Holy hell, just used the domino for the first time on a panel glue up. My mind is in one hundred pieces on the ground right now. I've never had things go together that perfectly before. I've had things to within 1/32"ish, but this is perfect for 80" with 1/32-1/64" for the last few inches. 

Had a brain wave at work and I'm going to add a narrow drawer in the middle of the piece to hold ties. I'm thinking about 4" high by the width of the piece split into compartments. 

Yes, I need to hit the comp for a bit and finalize things, but I wanted to have my panels glued and ready for joinery by Friday or Saturday morning. Glue curing takes time, which is what I don't want to wait on this weekend. My rough dimensions are set in stone. The outside case doesn't need additional thought to get going. I hear you loud and clear though, 'measure twice, cut once'. 

My grain and color match is fair to ok on both panels. I will be much more particular about the door panel and frame selection. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I often wipe the selected boards with a little water or spirits to see how good the match really is. The appearance can change radically once it's wet. Finish coats will have a similar affect. Sometimes flipping a board end for end is all that is needed.

Nice project to follow along ! Thanks for sharing it with us.

When gluing up walnut panels, focus on 1) avoiding sapwood at your joints (don't butt sap against heart) and 2) find a pleasing overall grain pattern.  Don't worry about color too much.  Walnut tends to mellow with age and the color of the heartwood evens out over time (but sap won't change much).   Its kind of a given that walnut grain/color is a bit crazy so just go with it.  

Took Micks' advice and modeled a bit tonight. In both scenarios, the doors are the the same size with 2.25" rails and stiles. Option one hides the tie drawer behind the doors, and offsets it in the vertical axis. In this version, I think i want the drawer front to be something other than walnut. I have some figured maple that might work. A couple pieces of leftover bubinga that are the right dimensions too. Option 2 centers this drawer in the same plane as the doors. In this case, I would want a piece of crotch walnut for the drawer front to match the door panels. I like option 2, because it breaks up the monotony of four same sized doors. On the other hand, I like the surprise and nestling of the tie drawer option 1. 

version 1.jpg

Version 2.jpg

I'm generally a function before form kind of guy. How often will you find yourself coming back to grab a tie after you've already picked out your clothes and walked away? If you are like me and make 8 trips to the closet for pants and a shirt, I can see Option 2 being more convenient. If you are less scatterbrained than I am, Option 1 might be a better scenario.

That's just my $0.02

-E

Brother and wife voted on #2, so it will be a 5 drawer/door front. I might photoshop the wood onto the sketchup model to get a feel, but the 4 main doors will be walnut with crotch figure, and the middle skinny tie drawer will be a bubinga front. I have a random 36"ish long by 4.5" wide piece of bubinga that will work well. Hope to then make drawer pulls and door handles with some for of bubinga accent to help tie the middle drawer into the rest of the piece. We shall see what this ends up like...

If my drawer dimensions will be the width minus the case sides, what joinery do i use to connect the drawer sides to the drawer front? Can you dovetail the pieces if the drawer front overhangs the sides by 3/4" or so? I have the doors going to the outside of the case, so the drawer front needs to do the same. I suppose i might be overthinking this, because my kitchen drawer fronts are screwed/glued to a dovetailed box. Is this standard stuff for drawers? I have only made drawers like the guild build shake table. Attached diagram from google is how my drawer front needs to extend beyond the sides. 

DrawerBoxConstruction-1-AssembledOverview.png

4 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

That's a lot of sawdust. all the wood i buy is surfaced 3 sides so i don't need to run the planer much. Saws don't really contribute a whole lot to the collector.

Dang a can every 2 days that's a lot are you running a wood chipper? :D

f083cea35722e6c9_screenshot-lrg-30.xxxla

Hey that's my old neighbor!

50 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Every 2 or 3 months?  I've been emptying my 30 gal can every two days for the last 2 months. The trees in my little wooded area are well mulched!

Yeah, thats what I left off my statement; I have a brute can or two full of sawdust every single week. It gets so bad that i sometimes dump the cyclone bin into my regular toter garbage can. I need to leave these guys cutting boards this christmas or something. Im just happy i dont live in a state with private waste management. 

Should have something to show besides milled lumber soon. Get to run the domino through its paces.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

That's a lot of sawdust. all the wood i buy is surfaced 3 sides so i don't need to run the planer much. Saws don't really contribute a whole lot to the collector.

Dang a can every 2 days that's a lot are you running a wood chipper? :D

f083cea35722e6c9_screenshot-lrg-30.xxxla

No, I'm building inventory for an art show, it's the second weekend in Sept. and I'll be glad when it's over!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pwk5017 said:

Yeah, thats what I left off my statement; I have a brute can or two full of sawdust every single week. It gets so bad that i sometimes dump the cyclone bin into my regular toter garbage can. I need to leave these guys cutting boards this christmas or something. Im just happy i dont live in a state with private waste management.

Why not compost?  You have a backyard, yeah?

My town has private waste management.  I guess my property taxes, which are a full 2% of fair market value (reassessed every 3 years) aren't enough to cover trash collection.  I pay $300 p.a. for a yard waste container.  My chips go there.  Maybe one day I will build a compost bin.  Chips are also a good base layer under mulch.   Aesthetically mulch looks nicer to me and the chips tend to blow away. 

7 minutes ago, Mike. said:

My town has private waste management.  I guess my property taxes, which are a full 2% of fair market value (reassessed every 3 years) aren't enough to cover trash collection.  I pay $300 p.a. for a yard waste container.  My chips go there.  Maybe one day I will build a compost bin.  Chips are also a good base layer under mulch.   Aesthetically mulch looks nicer to me and the chips tend to blow away. 

Ouch. The community i live in is filled with a bunch of curmudgeons, our property taxes are like 0.8% which sounds nice and all until you consider that out infrastructure is seriously handicapped because of it. We can't build new roads because the community doesn't have money to do it and the developers won't pony up the cash to build roads so development stops.

2 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Ouch. The community i live in is filled with a bunch of curmudgeons, our property taxes are like 0.8% which sounds nice and all until you consider that out infrastructure is seriously handicapped because of it. We can't build new roads because the community doesn't have money to do it and the developers won't pony up the cash to build roads so development stops.

Come to Crook County, illinois.  We have toll roads that don't even cover the cost of collecting tolls.  Literally.  Think about that for a second.  Everything here is a jobs program/cronyism. 

44 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Why not compost?  You have a backyard, yeah?

I dont like chucking that much organic waste either, but i live on 1/4 acre corner lot. My backyard is pinched between the other two owners, and I would require a vast amount of space to compost. When I am busy making counters, I produce atleast 70 gallons of organic waste a week. Take that over the course of a year, and it is a tremendous volume for the space I have. Furthermore, composting is its own science, and one i dont know well. Dumping a ton of fresh wood like that will tank the available nitrogen in the soil. This is where you get into the green:brown ratio of composting. Burning it would probably be the best solution, but i am limited to recreational fires. I had a neighbor kindly remind me of that when i was burning 150 gallons of chips from my bench build. I was new to the neighborhood and moved from a much more rural area. I am probably known as the redneck now.