Walnut Armoire/closet extension

Pwk5017

12 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

Does anyone know of a door handle or drawer pull that would work with what I have going on here? I'm thinking something rogowski or Asian inspired that is slender and slightly curved. 

I like the look of the profile on a Rogowski stool as a pull. Rounded edges of course.

Rogowski Pull.jpg

-E

I snagged this photo of Gary's box design. Im thinking some slender curved handle in bubinga with walnut dowels through the handle and into the door. Unlike Gary's box lid, i want the handle to protrude enough for me to get my hand between the door and the bubinga handle. Then, i was thinking the walnut dowels would look interesting as a through wedged tenon. Might be too busy though. 

I dont want this thing to look whacky-over the top asian, but "slender" and "curved" are what im after. Could also be slender and rectilinear, but i dont have any ideas for that option. 

Capture.JPG

9 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

We got doors. Hinges came today too, so I can attach the doors soon. I'm thinking I want to move this thing into position prior to the doors being on. 

image.jpeg

Wow those look nice. Also JT forgot to ask what finish you used.

I'd double check for stability. I've made a couple tall cabinets and it seems empty they get tipsy.

I know what you mean, the case is a bit wobbly in my basement right now, but i cant discern if that's the wonky floor of mine or the case. I plan to load this sucker up with clothes, so the weight should help. It is heavy as it is though.

I used a foam brush to apply waterlox original. I buy it by the gallon, so it has sort of become my primary finish. It takes forever to dry/cure, but its a pretty dummy-proof finish to apply. This is why i applied the first coat before drilling the mortises for the hinges. The first coat or two dont build on the surface much. Im sure if i went back home right now, the pieces would look dry and semi-unfinished. I still like to wait 24 hours between coats, so you can imagine how the finishing process can really drag on. It is almost like planning your glue ups. 

Do I really need a jig for drilling the holes and mortises for the hinges? I dont want to underestimate the process and jack up the whole project. 

Do you have a forstner bit? If you don't have one that is the right size I'd grab one on your way home. I generally do the math and mark the center point. Blum has great material on their website for the proper offset to get the overlap you want. I tap a screwdriver for a dent to get things started and then drill by hand or with my drill press. There are some minor adjustments on the hinges but it's best not to HAVE to rely on that.

I usually mount the hinge in the door and then transfer the plate location by clamping the door on the case and marking from the inside. If i remember your case is already enclosed so that might not work for you.

• 3 months later...

The gloss level in the photos could come across as being a mirror.  It's Waterlox original semi gloss, but they say it becomes more matte with time. The last coat is about a week old so maybe it will tone down with time? All four doors aren't true book matches, but they are close. Sequentially cut boards from the same Cletus log. I believe this is the first project where I truly attempted to do anything with grain selection. 

Here is the funky piece I'm considering for the drawer front. Kinda looks like a rack now that I think about it. 

Front and back. 

IMG_3677.JPG

IMG_3678.JPG

This is potentially going to sound really stupid, but do i need to make the center drawer a rail and stile drawerfront? My plan up until reading steve's post was to NOT make it a rail and stile drawerfront with a panel. It was just going to be an unframed drawerfront. It is 5" by 26", so i dont have the height to do much in the way of frame and panel. 

Yes, noticed that as i posted it. Looks like a set of boobs. I can do without the boobs, but im a huge fan of crotch feathering in walnut grain. Maybe i need to dig deeper in the lumber rack and see whats in there.