Problem with My Craftsman 10 inch contractor saw

Roland Schultz

Primary causes can be:

- failure to unlock the carriage for tilting (seriously, I've done this more than once)

- spoil packed into the threads of the screw rod (mineral spirits and a wire toothbrush make quick work of this although it can be awkward to get to)

- spoil packed into the grooves that the carriage slides in to tilt

- having the "stop nut" that fastens to the tilt screw to provide an angle stop function slip down and get bound up in an inappropriate position.

I'm sure there's others.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, xxdabroxx said:

I'll bet it was something obvious and he is now too embarrassed to come back. 

See, I'm not that way.  I am the biggest goof when it comes to shooting my hand up and yelling "that was me!" when I make an error.  I wonder what it was in my life experiences that taught me to do that.  I am comfortable enough with myself that I don't mind admitting doing dumb things . . .

CoD carcass assembly 19.jpg

but, has bit me in the hiney a time or two as well when working with certain individuals who are never wrong :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gee-dub said:

See, I'm not that way.  I am the biggest goof when it comes to shooting my hand up and yelling "that was me!" when I make an error.  I wonder what it was in my life experiences that taught me to do that.  I am comfortable enough with myself that I don't mind admitting doing dumb things . . .

but, has bit me in the hiney a time or two as well when working with certain individuals who are never wrong :D

Meh people who are never wrong never learn anything. What's the point of living if your not learning?

Featherboard, I thought that was a comb...

I probably ran the OP off, joke'm if they can't take a ****!

7 hours ago, gee-dub said:

CoD carcass assembly 19.jpg

Best folks are those that can poke fun at themselves...............that makes it OK to hold the mirror up to others!

6 hours ago, Llama said:

I'll bite. How did you break your featherboard? 

So I'm profiling some thin stock at the router table.  Forgetting that I had already set the fence featherboard as low as it could go without damage I decided I needed a bit more down pressure after the first run. That extra 1/8" was all it took.  Fired the router back up and knew immediately what that horrible sound was :D:D:D

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Meh people who are never wrong never learn anything. What's the point of living if your not learning?

Often heard as "If you're not making mistakes, you're not trying anything new".

• Like 1