A really good chisel company...?

Dolmetscher007

I need to buy a new large chisel that I can use to chisel out very large areas for building a work bench. I own a smaller 1/2" Veritas PM-V11 chisel that I love, but I don't want to just buy everything from Veritas. I already have a lot of their kit. Can anyone recommend a great 1"+ chisel that has great metal, but also a strong enough handle to take a lot of mallet smacks while chopping out 4" half-lap dovetails and dados for an English style work bench?

Since you're happy with their smaller ones, I'm curious why you'd want to change?  Certainly nothing wrong with a matching set! 

I can understand not going with Veritas for everything in your shop but, from one chisel to the next doesn't seem to make much sense to me???

And, Terry is correct..  LN makes great stuff as well.

• Like 1

Not sure why you would want all matching chisels. Thats odd. The thought puts chills down my ocd spine.

I have had this set for over 10 years and am very happy with them. They are a rebrand of the two cherries.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=46403&cat=1,41504

I've got the yellow plastic handle set from Lee Valley, which are cheapish. They sharpen nicely, but won't take a beating at all. Good for paring & light work.

I'm really happy with my Narex mortice chisels. They sharpen easily & the edges stand up pretty well to hard maple & white oak.

Heard good things about PM-VII chisels, but haven't tried them yet. They will probably replace my yellow Lee Valley ones as my go to chisels. & yellow ones will then be my beaters.

The only LN tool I have is a rabbit block plane, which is great. But here up north, the LN stuff is about 50% more than LV. And I have a Lee Valley store 5 minutes away, so they get most of my tool business.

I'll add another vote for the Narex if you're looking for a bigger chisel. I don't know what you have in mind, but they go all the way up to 2 inches in size while still being a pretty reasonable price. I just picked one of those up for doing cleanup on wider surfaces.

But if it's a size where you can get the Veritas, and you love the smaller one, why wouldn't you go with it?

I've got a set of the LN chisels, and they are fantastic. I'm not too fond of the LV PMV-11 chisel oblong handle shape. I have used some Ashly Iles chisels, and they are well made and take a nice edge. They are less expensive than both LV and LN, with an option of up to 2" on the pattern chisels. I think you can get them for about $60 USD for the biggest one and less based on chisel width.