Help needed parquet flooring

Hi. I hope I'm in the right section. New here and a long time fan of the wood whisperer.

I just picked up 1000 pieces of English Oak from a old school. Currently covered in tar. I have cleaned up a couple and manage to size them to roughly 200,60,20 mm 

My problem is, I'd love to make some furniture out of it but not sure how to glue them into usable board sizes. 

Can anyone help? 

Thank you in advance 

Dom. 

I know how hard it is to remove tar, so I'll just come right out & say it; toss it all out & go buy some better wood. Those are pretty small pieces to start with & by the time you mill them down to get rid of all the staining there won't be much left. Especially if they're red oak.

Sorry to be negative, and welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

Thank you for the quick response. Cleaning the tar off is easy with my old thicknesser. Two passes and it's gone.

As you can tell from the pictures.

Issue is the size of what's left. Making them wider is easy it's just increasing the length than I'm unsure about.

Let's say...I want a 1000x600mm board. Can I just glue it up in a brickwork pattern? Will it be strong enough for a small table top?

I was looking into finger joint cutters for the router table but heard they are a pain to use.

ThankS for the welcome, hopefully next topic will be a better one.  

14869405659641358214449.jpg

1486940597650-1531123885.jpg

1486940617949-1257731835.jpg

1486940689844-1561824311.jpg

that looks like white oak to me, having a lot of something is not always a good thing, those pieces are so small glueing them up end to end would be a waste of time IMO, you could use them for small projects if you're really attached to them, white oak is nice to work with but to try to make long boards out of them would not end well. and, welcome to the forum

You could glue the wide faces together (they are already sooth) to make a very thick chopping block style cutting board.  But, I think you can only make so many of those.  

Small boxes might work particularly if you have some thinner pieces.

What about some signs?

Thank you for all great comments. Today is the day I go through as many as possible and get rid of all that tar! 

After that I'll dimension them all. A week to do this? ^_^ either way, I will try and glue up some large panels. If that fails, some small cutting boards and other projects to take to the market. 

I do need to practice my dovetails...maybe a couple. 

I'm not hung up on using this oak for anything special really. I was thinking the other day that it would be nice to use it for a large piece as the oak itself has a long history. The school installed the floor in the 1920s and has only just been picked up. From what I was told anyway.

That as well as not being able to get English Oak very easy anymore. Well I'm guessing it'll be English Oak. 

• Like 1