Opinions on a complete router package vs. shop built table, stand and fence

pagel

I'm trying to decide between one of the several complete router table/stand/fence packages out there (leaning toward JessEm) or simply buying a lift and making my own table, stand and fence. I would obviously save money building my own, but given time constraints and wanting to start and finish a bunch of projects over the next three months, there's a big premium for having a complete system that I can use now.

Time is of more value to me than saving dollars for now, so I'm wondering if the $900 or so that I would spend on a complete package is worth the time saved from having to build my own.

Has anyone purchased one of these complete packages - JessEm, Kreg, Incra, Bench Dog, etc. - and wished they had built their own?

I built "Norm's" table. By the time I was done, I could have bought a real nice package. Not trying to tell you which way to go, but building ain't all that cost effective, if you get all the bells a whistles. I do have what "I want" and not a manufactures idea of what will work for me, but what could I have built during the time I was building "Norm's"?

You could always get a package and use the top section later on a cabinet that you design and build. If I ever need or want another one, that is what I am going to do.

I went half and half on my first router table (my very first 'big' project), I built the table but bought a Kreg fence. The table came out 'okay,' far sturdier tabletop (and cheaper) than any of the brand tables, but the base was a little wobbly as the cuts weren't so accurate (I only had a jigsaw to work with back then). I bought the Kreg fence as I didn't trust my accuracy at the time, and liked the bells and whistles.

Anyway, later on after I had my table saw and other things, I badly needed to consolidate working space. So I built a brand new router table top to attach to the unused wing of my table saw, which I finished much faster - and accurate - this time. I still used the Kreg fence, but I lost the micro-adjustability as it now attaches to the table saw fence. I could probably make a jig or something to remedy that, but honestly it's just faster to lightly tap the table saw fence to micro-adjust the router fence forward or backwards.

Anyway, though it still works fine, I kind of regret buying the Kreg fence because I could have built something just as functional now. Only back then I didn't have a table saw to cut accurate pieces, hence the dilemma.

So in that regard, what I'm saying is that if you don't have the resources or time to make your own router table and you need it NOW, that pretty much decides on buying the table package. Otherwise if you do, I think building your own is absolutely worthwhile. They can be made stronger (and much less expensive) than the barebones store tables, and can teach you a ton about woodworking.

• 2 years later...

Hello, does anyone have any updated information or new ideas/suggestion on a router table package? I'm looking for one with adjustable fence (for jointing), front switch and above table lift.  I was interested in the Freud FT3000 but hear that is no longer available (Oh well).  I prefer to not take time to build one and am an average woodworker, not professional by any means.  Any suggestions from previous experience would help out.  Thanks.

I looked around at all the big name packages. Ended up building my own, that sits exactly where it was intended to fit and cost a fraction. All in, I've got less than 100 bucks into mine. Thick melamine top, birch ply cabinet, miter and t tracks, dust collection, personal storage Configuration.

I'm known to build things pretty quickly but it took maybea total of 5 hours in.