Dumbest thing I've done in the shop in a while (Not a safety post)

ChetlovesMer

Other than cutting mitres in the wrong direction... which I do once on every project requiring a mitre joint?  Here are a couple:

I just had about 300bf ft of lumber come tumbling down.  I was storing the lumber on some shelves that the prior owner installed.  i pulled one piece off and as I walked away the whole thing came crashing down.  Turns on the prior owner just nailed the shelving brackets into the drywall, he did not bother to locate the studs.   

I routinely empty my DC, fit the bag back on, start it up and realize its not sealed tight basically setting off a dust bomb. 

lol @ the pencil story.  I often end up with two, and sometimes three, pencils tucked into my hat from pretty much the same reason.  And the other day I couldn't find my earplugs.  They were cleverly hidden around my neck.  

Like everyone else, I've cut/mitered/routered the wrong side/end/piece.  It keeps things interesting (and by interesting, I mean frustrating).  My most recent oops was assembling the frames for the WFC easel. I diligently laid out all my pieces, but somehow reversed the legs so the holes I had drilled for the threaded inserts ended up on the insides, not the outsides. Oops.  Some plugs milled from a scrap piece and newly drilled holes and I was back in business.

got a couple

one time i had my nail gun out and was nailing a box together.  the air outlet was angled away from me but i turned the gun to the side to put in one last hard to reach nail and bam.....the air from the compressor when strait up my nose making my sinuses ring like i had a gun go off inside my head.

another time i was trying to unclog a shop vac hose. i had the shop vac hose pluged into the outlet and i had it runing trying to blow the clog out when one of the students blew the circit and shut off the power.  so i  put the hose near my face to look down the hose just as the kid reset the circit and i ended up with a face full of chips and dust. glad i hadent taken my glasses off to see better.

lastly one night i went into the classrooms office to clock out for the night.  when i had finished i had packed up all my stuff and started to walk out the door when i realized the door was broken.  the door knob would only spin i could not get the door lock to slide over.  so i clocked back in (damn trait im geting paid if i have to spend the night in my office) and spent the next hour trying to slide a thin piece of metal that i removed from the desk into the gap between the door and the door frame to slide the locking mechinism over. this hapened on a  tuesday.  that friday at the end of the day i went to use the restroom when i realized that the door handle to the bathroom broke.  except this time the entire handle came off the door.  so i figure its ok i just have to slide the shaft into the other side and turn the knob.  nope the handle on the outside fell while i was trying to get the shaft to conect the two handles. so now im stuck in the bathroom on a friday night with no one in the building but me looking at spending the weekend in the bathroom. so with the use of the plunger, a block of steel we use as a door stop  and a paint can opener i basicly pried the door off the hinges and went home.  my boss wanted to know why the bathroom door was broken when he came in monday morning. i explained everything to him then told him i kicked the door off the hinges.  so yes in one week i got traped inside a locked room by myself.

Ive sucked my teeth (dentures) into the dust collector.

Ding ding, we have a winner!

Though PB was going to mention Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb from the other thread.

They're destined for greater things....I have a feeling they might be up for the Darwin Awards at some point :)

For this week? Well, just happened.. 

Spent the morning on the Tormek sharpening a couple of my chisels..  Phone rings so I come into the office, sit down and take the call.  "Where did I put the chisel that was in my hand" you ask?~

In my lap of course.  And it promptly hit the cement floor when standing up <_<..  Chances that it landed handle side first?  ZERO.... 

Good thing I work by myself as I'm guessing the words that came out of my mouth would have made even the most vulgar comedian blush...

I'm wondering if there isn't a way to fit something like an eyeglass cord to PB's dentures.  There's been a few stories involving them.

Me - until last weekend my bandsaw was tucked into a corner that's a little tough to get to.  My dust collection is a portable unit that I move to whatever tool I'm using.  After spending several minutes maneuvering the DC into place, getting it hooked up and plugged in, I notice that the saw is getting covered with dust as I'm using it.  DC works much better if you remember to turn it on.  Done more that three times ...

That has to be the funniest thing I have read on this forum.

The last stupid thing I did was put a screwdriver, tip out of course, in my back pocket and forgot about it. I remembered it was there when I sat on the leather seats in my truck.

My biggest D'oh! moment of 2013 (so far)...

Dropping a rather nice #6000 grit waterstone... D'ohhhh!

All the King's Soldiers and All the King's Men really couldn't help me much, but Epoxy and some Hard Maple sure did...

How does the Humpty Dumpty Stone work? Well... It was a nice stone (one of my favorites), now it's assigned an OK status, say B-...

I just watched a video I shot of me doing some work in the shop in summer.  40 minutes, and I finished one shelf.  Not the whole box, just a shelf.  I spent most of the time looking for three tools.  (All of which were already laid out in front of the camera.)

• Like 2

I have two bad habits: I can't stop once I've started something, and I tend to forget to eat. I also get shaky/cranky when I don't eat. Great combo for a 9+ hour day at a woodshop, right? I even managed to forget my emergency Cliff Bar. Well, actually, I only screwed up 2 things. On the minor side instead of cutting a tongue and groove on the tablesaw, I managed to cut two grooves.

I always do that. Drives me nuts. At least the "fix" is just cutting a spline.

Also almost managed to put my hand into the tablesaw blade cutting a small tenon. Caught myself before my hand got near, but I was about to do something very, very dumb and test out the SawStop's brake.

• Like 1