Camera for instructional videos???

Tom King

We have a Sony HDD camera that I forget how many years old it is, and probably only 480p max, but it's not that easy for someone to operate without some experience.  Also, have a Casio still camera that has a high speed video function that works great for a golf swing video, but I don't think it would be useful for this.  No smartphones.

Does anyone know anything about a GoPro.  I've been wanting one anyway for sailing and other stuff, but haven't gotten around to getting one.  I think we might need a smartphone to use it much, but may be able to use Pam's iPad.

???????

This sounds promising Tom! I watched this http://youtu.be/zz9wMyqr5_0 after droping him a line and bough the coolpix from ebay, second hand, for £80. He did not feel and external mic was worth the time, although no doubt it would be better with a mic. I also watched a few vids on lighting and set all, hopefully I will have something up during January.

• 1 month later...

Don't get the GoPro for instructional videos.  I had one for a while to play around with while canoeing and fly fishing.  I didn't use it enough to justify owning it, so I sold it.  The audio sucks and it's got a fish-eye lens on it that makes a lot of shots look...weird.  Cool for outdoor stuff, water stuff, stuff that will bang up a regular camera.  I'd look into a normal camera for normal use.

Not yet.  A friend told me he was going to lend me his GoPro when he came to the lake to see how it worked, but I haven't seen him yet.  We did some with an ipad, which was better video quality than our old HDD cam, but no zoom is a problem.  It just got put off, and too many irons in the fire.  I haven't really even thought about it lately. 

We need a better one for puppy videos anyway.  We have a youtube account for the dogs tomkinghavs, but I've been meaning to see if you can have two different user names, and I haven't even thought about that at the right time.  I don't want to mix woodworking videos in with the dog stuff.

Any DSLR is going to give you excellent video with interchangeable lenses.  For woodworking videos I think the best thing would be something with a rotatable screen so that you can turn the screen to face forward.  Most of the time you are in front of the camera and this allows you to move the camera and frame the shot without having to go around behind it.  In the Nikon world this would be the 5x00 series.  I think 5300 is the most recent but for just the video capability it likely doesn't matter whether you got that or the 5200, 5100...  I'm using something else right now but this is probably what I'll buy since I have Nikon lenses to use with it.  In the Canon world it would be the 60D.

The thing to keep in mind with different cameras is that they have different size sensors and the sensor size greatly affects the amount of depth of field that you have.  I won't get too much into in case you already know all this, but the short version is depth of field is how much is in focus in front and in back of the plane of focus.  A larger sensor camera like a dslr has a lot less depth of field for a given aperture than a small sensor camera like you'd find in a compact camera or dedicated video camera.  This is both good and bad.  The good is that you have more control so you can make the background be not in focus while you are in focus, which puts the focus on you rather than the mess behind you.  The bad is when you are trying to get everything in the frame in focus because everything is important so you need to really stop down the lens to accomplish that, which means you need a lot of light.  Even then if it's a closeup you may not be able to do it.

Any DSLR is going to give you excellent video with interchangeable lenses.  For woodworking videos I think the best thing would be something with a rotatable screen so that you can turn the screen to face forward.  Most of the time you are in front of the camera and this allows you to move the camera and frame the shot without having to go around behind it.  In the Nikon world this would be the 5x00 series.  I think 5300 is the most recent but for just the video capability it likely doesn't matter whether you got that or the 5200, 5100...  I'm using something else right now but this is probably what I'll buy since I have Nikon lenses to use with it.  In the Canon world it would be the 60D.

The thing to keep in mind with different cameras is that they have different size sensors and the sensor size greatly affects the amount of depth of field that you have.  I won't get too much into in case you already know all this, but the short version is depth of field is how much is in focus in front and in back of the plane of focus.  A larger sensor camera like a dslr has a lot less depth of field for a given aperture than a small sensor camera like you'd find in a compact camera or dedicated video camera.  This is both good and bad.  The good is that you have more control so you can make the background be not in focus while you are in focus, which puts the focus on you rather than the mess behind you.  The bad is when you are trying to get everything in the frame in focus because everything is important so you need to really stop down the lens to accomplish that, which means you need a lot of light.  Even then if it's a closeup you may not be able to do it.

I already have a 5dmk3 & 2 and loads of L glass but the video although great in quality sucks when it comes to auto focus. DSLR's from canon are not great when it comes to video unless you buck up the cash to get motorized focusing devices. With the right gear you can shoot a tv show with one. House the tv doctor show was filmed with one but it takes an additional 25K in gear to get everything working together.

I already have a 5dmk3 & 2 and loads of L glass but the video although great in quality sucks when it comes to auto focus. DSLR's from canon are not great when it comes to video unless you buck up the cash to get motorized focusing devices. With the right gear you can shoot a tv show with one. House the tv doctor show was filmed with one but it takes an additional 25K in gear to get everything working together.

I should have mentioned that all dslrs are crap as far as AF in video.  It's partly because the lenses and autofocus system just aren't designed for that kind of work and partly because of the much smaller DoF I was talking about.  A small sensor camera with a wide angle lens doesn't have very much work to do to keep focus, everything is pretty much always in focus anyway.  But for professional quality video you don't use AF.  I realize it's something people don't want to have to deal with but that's what you should be doing and it's not really difficult.   Your shots are going to be static unless you mean to get into something artsy with your woodworking videos.  It's another reason why it's helpful to have the lcd be able to be swung around to face the front, easy to manually focus.

The micro 4/3s system is something that bears looking into as a compromise.  The sensor size is in between a dslr and a compact and some of them have been designed from the start with video in mind so the AF in video is supposed to be much better.  It's not something I have any experience with so I can't say anything beyond what I've heard. 

My thought with the go pro is they are cheap. One of the reasons I dont do videos is having to move the camera or adjusting focus. My theory is that if you had a herd of them they could just be mounted every which way and turned on and off via an I device like an iPad. I think it would be nice just to do a project as you normally would and then take the video from a bunch of cameras and piece it all together rather than moving a camera for each step. I think the obligatory shoot each step in close detail is boring besides there are processes like milling that folks miss out on the steps and never get an explanation to the why.

Thanks a lot everyone that posted.  This has been very helpful.  I did 35mm in High School (my bedroom was a darkroom.  I won First Place in a National competition for school yearbook photography, but didn't find out until over a year later.  I had graduated and gone to college since the contest was over, and the Advisor told me over a year later when I happened to see him in a Hardees) , and several other things since then.  I completely missed the four thirds sensor technology.  I'm going to have to do some more learning.  There is so much available.  I did find that same JVC camcorder reconditioned for a little over half that price, but I have so many things to do now that I don't know when we will catch up. 

I will have help "filming" anything we do.  Our daughter does Special Effects Makeup, and she already has some ideas, but I don't think we are going to do any of that.  She does really good burns and bullet wounds, and nails through fingers.  Our son does Lighting Design, and sound and video installs for Universities.  But they are both so busy that we rarely see them.

I still want a GoPro, but they will probably have another model out by this Summer when we can get any use out of one.

After you guys capture your video and get it on the computer, what are you using for editing, as in adding music, chopping and making scenes, adding stills etc.? I would love to start documenting my builds in sort of a format as doucette and wolfe do.

Are you a windows or mac person? for windows I have and like Roxio creator. It's around $125 to $150 for the pro edition, and I think you can still get it a Best Buy. For macs, I know a lot of people like Final Cut.