The right screws for the Kreg pocket hole jig.

Calix

Greetings everyone!

Before I buy a Kreg pocket hole jig, I would like to know if I could use any brand of self-tapping screws, I know it must have a square screw drive. Or will I always have to buy propietary Kreg self-tapping screws?

Thanks for your help!

Absolutely not just Kreg. A quality screw is desired in my opinion and a cabinet style is preferred but Proprietary Kreg screws are not needed. I am not a screw know it all so I think I need to describe in case I am mis labeling. I call a cabinet screw any screw that has a flat drawing head on the pulling side. Often they appear like a fender or washer head but without the washer. They are also not threaded along the whole length so that they can draw. Also, since you rarely predrill anything but the pocket hole, I prefer screws that have a point designed to cut cleanly particularly in hardwood.

Most hardwares, big box, and contractor suppliers around here stock full lines of GRK. These very rapidly became my go-to about 8 years ago. I prefer the Torx to square and have been thoroughly satisfied so far with the coatings. I am also really fortunate to have Granger and Fastenal very close and can usually get wholesale prices with a large order.

I'm not sure about the Kreg jig because I have never used one however we use a #6 1-1/8" or 1-1/4" pan head screw with 3/4 threads.

We have a Castle TSM-35 machine for pocket holes. Basically any screw that isn't flat head will work.

Pretty much. As long as the screw has a flat bottom on the head, it will work just fine. The reason behind this is so it helps to pull the pieces together instead of the typical bugle screw which will dig deeper into the piece that has the hole. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

They make generic screws that look and function the same as the Kreg brand, just with a black finish.  Our local Ace carries them.  Th biggest issue is just to make sure it is self tapping, and has a flat back of the head.  A taper will crack everything.  

Setting the clutch on your driver will save a lot of head ache too!

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/25/2014 at 1:21 PM, chrisphr said:

I use the Hillman pro crafter screws sold at lowes. I like them better than kreg because they have a black coating that makes me think they hide better. Just a preference.

Hillman pocket screws are very disappointing to me. I contacted the company directly twice and confirmed that they are not hardened like the Kreg screws. There is nothing worse than using quality wood at three times the price of construction grade just to snap off a head in it. I would recommend strongly not using Hillman over a hardened screw.

On 1/25/2014 at 1:21 PM, chrisphr said:

I use the Hillman pro crafter screws sold at lowes. I like them better than kreg because they have a black coating that makes me think they hide better. Just a preference.

A number of people here are recommending screws that have tapered heads. That is not a great idea because you will split your wood especially if there's any contraction. The pocket hole bit provides a flat surface for a cabinet screw or a panhead with a flat underneath. The tapered head effectively Acts like a wedge and the wood is already drilled down oftentimes facing end-grain or with the grain.

I would strongly encourage you to only use a quality hardened pocket screw or Panhead. Don't forget the Hillman product is NOT hardened.

If anyone has suggestions for hardened pocket screw makers, let me know.  I really like SPAX for construction screws and I will look into some of theirs because I think all of their product is hardened.