The One Handed Handy Man

• 10 years later...

I am an Occupational Therapist who works with individuals with stroke and brain injuries. We do A LOT of 1-handed training. I was wondering if you could recommend a "top 5" or so of your favorite must-have tools when working 1-handed. Or one of your favorite strategies adapting in a 2-handed world. 

Thank you in advance

Welcome Leah,

A block plane is pretty much a one handed tool

Hand saws can be used one handed although they are a little easier to start using both.  The Japanese pull saw might be easier one handed.

A wood rasp can be used one handed but there are times when two would be preferable.

Jig saw is a power tool that is one handed.  You can get them in two grip styles, "D" hand and barrel grip.

Orbital sanders are another one handed power tool. 

Cordless drills are another tool that can be operated one handed and there are some smaller, lighter versions out there that might be easier to use in a rehab situation.

Welcome, Leah!

The best thing I can recommend for working single-handed is a well-designed and well-built workbench. With a bit of thought, the vise and other work holding features of the bench can be adjusted or modified such that the workpiece can be placed and locked with only one hand (might need a foot, occasionally!). Once the workpiece is secure, many tools can be used on it safely with just one hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Welcome, Leah!

The best thing I can recommend for working single-handed is a well-designed and well-built workbench. With a bit of thought, the vise and other work holding features of the bench can be adjusted or modified such that the workpiece can be placed and locked with only one hand (might need a foot, occasionally!). Once the workpiece is secure, many tools can be used on it safely with just one hand.

+1

Well said! 

• Thanks 1

For wood turning (as opposed to flat work) you should look at the Simple Hollowing System from Harrison Specialties.  It can readily be used as an all around tool holder and not just for hollowing.  I can discuss that further if it looks interesting. 

Wood turning in general is an avenue to explore for individuals with upper extremity limitations.