Bed for Junior...Completed

Eric.

It takes a little time and patience.  The grain wants to grab the tip of the blade and make it go where you don't want it to go.  Start off very light, and slowly carve deeper and deeper.  It's still rather sloppy looking, but I prefer "engraved" over marker, regardless.  It's on the inside of a rail where it will never be seen...but it's there.

Extremely happy to report the brass insert experiment went off without a hitch.  I was nervous about this part...uncharted territory on a near-finished project and all.  Thanks again to the forum brains that helped me iron out the kinks.  These things are rock solid...no reservations whatsoever about the rail joints now.

DSC_00122-1.jpg

beav.gif

Huuuhhhuhhhhuhhhhihhiuuuuuhuh

Drugs are bad, m'kay? LOL

Yeah, sorry about that... That was in response to the B&B post, which I thought was the last post in the thread because I was using that stupid Tapatalk app and I didn't realize there was another page.

Carry on! :)

Thank you peeps. :)

First thing I noticed was excellent choice and layout of woodgrain. It shows that you spent time picking the "show" face of each board.
I'm thinking all that time hanging out at the lumberyard pays off doesn't it ?

It definitely does, but actually not in this case.  The cherry in the frame parts and rails came from rough boards because it was the only 6/4 that was available.  So it was a bit of a craps shoot.  But I did spend a lot of time laying out the parts after the initial milling.  The top rail of the headboard was a no-brainer with that killer streak of dark grain.  I knew immediately where to put that one.

I see nothing but fine work, my friend! Very nice indeed.

Are those panels of maple? Headboard looks mighty wide, wish I could find lumber like that around here.

Yeah, both of the curly maple panels came out of one long, wide board.  It started out 10' long and nearly 22" wide.  Lopped it in half, panels were done. LOL