Marc Spagnuolo on Rough Cut

davewyo

We saw it this weekend. We get both Spokane and Idaho Public TV. Idaho had this one on Saturday. Was great Marc.

I like Tommy now. First few episodes I wanted to throw something at his head but once I got the rhythm of the show down I came to really like it.

Spokane Public TC preempted all woodworking and home improvement shows this week for a Rick Steves marathon. Aaaaarrrrggghhhh!!! The last episode of the current TOH project was due. Hate hate hate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The good unions are hard to get into around here.  You basically have to have a family member with clout to even be considered.  I have a couple buddies in the sprink union...it's like being "made" in the Mafia to get into that one.  And I think every one of them is related somehow.

We saw it this weekend. We get both Spokane and Idaho Public TV. Idaho had this one on Saturday. Was great Marc.

I like Tommy now. First few episodes I wanted to throw something at his head but once I got the rhythm of the show down I came to really like it.

Spokane Public TC preempted all woodworking and home improvement shows this week for a Rick Steves marathon. Aaaaarrrrggghhhh!!! The last episode of the current TOH project was due. Hate hate hate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What changed my view of Tommy was actually his FaceBook offerings. I got a better sense of his "unproduced" personality.

I grew up in NJ. College was forced on everyone and community college was forced on those who would have made a great living with a skilled trade. Formative years that could have been spent learning a skill, wasted taking a semester of Origami History just to stay on the parents benefits, and getting into trouble...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It seems like the show is geared more toward the beginner.  Like they are trying to get you interested in woodworking. 

With all the advertising and heavy over-editing... and... don't show them too much or it may look too complicated.

Otherwise if you want to keep it a 1/2 hour show, break up a project into two or more shows.  There's no reason not to. 

Viewers would want to come back next week to see how it turns out.

You're trying to reach as broad an audience as possible for ratings.  

There must be more potential startup woodworkers than seasoned woodworkers (anyone is a possible start-up woodworker until they find out how much tools and wood cost).  Both will watch but you want to appease the bigger group. 

Or maybe they're just giving you eye candy so you'll buy one of the sponsor's tools / machines.  They do the same crap for home improvement shows.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice job Marc.   The dynamics of the two of you work well.   They should pair the two of you.  Wish they carried this program in my area.  Nice to veg out watching woodworking when not doing woodworking. 

For those with criticism of these types of shows as being too dumbed down, my view is these are 80% entertainment which is what they should be for a 30 min program.  Great way to spark interest and bring more people into the craft.  For those wanting true educational content, The WW Guild and other on-line or brick and mortar schools are always available once that spark is ignited.   

Thanks for the link pdxkris....this was the first time I've seen it.

#2 FIRST POST PDXKRIS!!!! WELCOME!! [cue the new Orleans jazz music....everyone dance....jiggy jiggy jiggy jiggy....ok breathe.....] Good place to hang out....

It was so neat that Marc looked so relaxed....like he already had a thousand shows under his belt.  i love it when preparation meets opportunity.  It's Tom Brady all over again.....Marc's not quite as tall though.....

Nice job Marc.   The dynamics of the two of you work well.   They should pair the two of you.  Wish they carried this program in my area.  Nice to veg out watching woodworking when not doing woodworking. 

For those with criticism of these types of shows as being too dumbed down, my view is these are 80% entertainment which is what they should be for a 30 min program.  Great way to spark interest and bring more people into the craft.  For those wanting true educational content, The WW Guild and other on-line or brick and mortar schools are always available once that spark is ignited.   

Generally speaking (not Rough Cut so much), I think you can get the same result if you're honest in your approach.  Don't try to copy everyone else's success.  That's why TV and movies are the way they are today.  The creative element as been removed in favor of trying to guide the viewer of the program.

I think that's why shows like Woodworks and even Marc Spagnuolo are so successful. 

I have been woodworking for about a year (novice) and have mainly been building simple stuff like cutting boards and a couple of shelves with the dream of tackling projects (furniture) like the Hall Tree.  I've done enough to learn the hard way how much wood can "move".  I caught something that Tommy said about 4:40 minutes into the video about cutting up the stock for a project that he stickers it over night and hits it with a hand plane before starting the project.  I assume this is to give the wood time to adjust (overnight) after milling it and giving it one last pass to make sure it is still straight/square edge etc?  It makes sense, but I wanted to make sure (learn).  If that is the reason, would it be better to mill it and leave it stickered for several days?  Just curious if anybody has input.  I don't usually post stuff, so I don't know if this was the correct place to post this question.  If not, sorry.