Taller vase


Bombarde16
 Share

Recommended Posts

Having been successful with my first base, it's time to push the envelope. This one will be pretty close to the maximum length and diameter that my little lathe can handle. I'll build it in three sections, so I'll have to solve the conundrum of truing the surfaces to be glued once each section is done on the inside.

A friend has a table saw and a chop saw, so I'm visiting him on Wednesday to cut all the pieces. For now, I've made the base and two sacrificial pieces to build up the other sections. I also made a tapered plug to fit the live center (so I can turn the outside) and a large disc to true each section after removing the sacrificial blocks.

df4d035c3d193e57e20f8aa5e0f038d2.jpg1d4ce5ed6815232ceb8d6c270e91b50f.jpg72013db6262526a174998fe1b63ff51a.jpgea3dcaf596f75a32725155ce6d8cbd43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

More preliminaries. I'm using an acquaintance's table saw tomorrow and I have no idea what sort of setup he has. I do know this will entail ripping a lot of thin strips, so I made one of my favorite disposable push blocks.

bc885ff58dd63259849f4911e71bee89.jpg

Rainbow paint jobs are optional but do help make it easier to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quick clip of me conquering my fears of the far side of the lathe. This particular layer of walnut came from an old piece of furniture, so there's some kind of tough film finish on the outside. Polyurethane? Who knows and who cares? I had to sharpen my scraper three times to get it off and true the surface for gluing the next layer.

http://youtu.be/toj8DJM6OI4

What's also funny is that the segmented body acts like a squirrel cage of sorts, sucking shavings in and then throwing them out the side. Even though it's against the grain, I did most of the roughing cuts from in to out to try to direct the majority of the shavings out of the hollow. Works well enough. Time to glue on the next layer!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Out from under the books and back onto the lathe. The rim is a piece of bone dry red oak leftover from a kitchen remodel in my parents' condo. Now that plug for the live center comes in handy, giving a lot of support when I start nipping at the outside.

35bc13e8e11e5b170e9cdcb64ac363ef.jpg

The outer edge of the rim doesn't need to be perfect yet, just round so I can reverse it and remove the sacrificial block at the bottom.

db79263a0b37851af9f16a0f8531432d.jpg

The top and middle sections are coming together nicely. I've not done anything with the bottom, yet: the recess for the base needs a different set of jaws for the chuck and I don't want to keep switching back and forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

post-2926-0-26400500-1414960974_thumb.jp
post-2926-0-85675100-1414957047_thumb.jp
post-2926-0-83104500-1414960989_thumb.jp
I built the longworth chuck some bottle stoppers, 2" face plate, bolts/washers and 1/4 20 knobs. I cut all the slots with a router and, home made trammel arm
post-2926-0-07333900-1413840468_thumb.jp
post-2926-0-78538200-1413840431_thumb.jp
I'll bet I don't have thirty bucks in it I had the 1/2" ply around already just a thought Rob. That's an interesting idea you have for the vase I'm interested in seeing the finished product.

 

post-2926-0-26400500-1414960974_thumb.jp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share