Sick of this winter

Tom Cancelleri

I can tell you, the conditions that cause the quakes are pretty rare in this part if the country, at least in the last century or so. Although I had a great, great grand-uncle that traveled to Texas from Tennessee by wagon in the winter of 1898, and crossed the Mississippi river on the ice....

at Memphis .....

Up to 8" of snow. I cleaned my parent's entire block with their snowblower. Cleared out my sister's driveway and sidewalk. Then came home and shoveled out my entire driveway and sidewalk. Took a trip to woodcraft back when there was about 3" and treated myself to a 12" woodpeckers ruler with center scale, some paint strainers, tack clothes and a scraper holder. Now that I'm wiped out, spraying is of no interest to me today.

Spent all day clearing ice from gutters, running heating cable, and shoveling a roof.  Now it started snowing a little, and we'll be getting snow, sleet, freezing rain and then just plain rain overnight.  Oh joy.   like that Woodcraft idea - I really don't need anything but maybe I'll pop over there tomorrow for a little mental relaxation.

• Like 1

I spent the afternoon chipping an inch+ thick layer of ice off my MIL's driveway & sidewalk, and her neighbor's. In a pouring rain at 40*F.

Just in time for another winter storm to hit tomorrow night. O, joy.

Definitely a case where salt is your friend.  Or heat, if possible.  Try for calcium chloride based ice melt - the sodium chloride makes a bigger mess and wreaks havoc on metal and plants.

Definitely a case where salt is your friend. Or heat, if possible. Try for calcium chloride based ice melt - the sodium chloride makes a bigger mess and wreaks havoc on metal and plants.

That was my plan, but since we don't have a lot of weather like this, stores don't stock much of that stuff, and were sold out by the time I was able to go over there.

That was my plan, but since we don't have a lot of weather like this, stores don't stock much of that stuff, and were sold out by the time I was able to go over there.

"Damp Rid", or other humidity-control items, are usually also made from CaCl.  Good second option.  The local HD had a table set up showing people how to use it for roof ice melting. Conversely, for humidity control, buying CaCl in bulk is a much cheaper alternative.

Good news: The ice is melting in Charlotte area and should stay that way for the next week.

Bad news: The thaw revealed that the cold busted the water line to the irrigation system and caused some outdoor flooding. Lucked out with a shut off valve in the right place. Left a soggy mess and something else to fix in the spring. Argh.

Good news: The ice is melting in Charlotte area and should stay that way for the next week.

Bad news: The thaw revealed that the cold busted the water line to the irrigation system and caused some outdoor flooding. Lucked out with a shut off valve in the right place. Left a soggy mess and something else to fix in the spring. Argh.

Thank goodness it wasn't the main to your house

You know the phrase, “Sly as a Fox?”

Over the weekend, I discovered a Red Fox quietly napping to pass the time during a snowfall (see photo above)... All the while looking innocent – just taking a nap – that’s all… Nothing to see here... Just move on...

At the time, I thought it a bit odd that he/she should choose the open space for his/her nap --- without any cover for several hundred feet in any direction (we also have some coyotes, black bear, very large hawks and several other creatures that make sleeping in the open a really bad idea) --- but it was cold, windy and snowing, so took a photo and went back inside…

Well, the next day I discovered the method to his/her madness… The fox was napping right on top of the entrance to a large chipmunk community… So after his/her nap, the fox got up, dug through about eight inches of snow and had a little snack…

Sly as a fox…

• 2 weeks later...

That sly red fox is back...

Making a fridge run (better half won't allow a fridge in the shop)… And there he was -- not looking quite so innocent this time... still studying the chipmunk community...

Grabbed the nearest camera and managed a single shot before spooking him... About 30 seconds between first noticing the fox and catching a last shot of his tail disappearing into the woods…

Sorry about the quality of the photos, wrong lens for the job – but you’ve got to shoot with whatever you've got mounted…

5D3/400/5.6

• Like 1