Please no, not another Roubo build thread

Finally shaped the sliding deadman. I really hope once the rails are finished and waxed that the deadman slides easier towards the top instead of tilting when I push it.

Get used to that.  I usually slide mine back and forth with my foot at the bottom of it for that reason.  I don't use it all that much.  Occasionally, not often.

• Like 1

My letter to the property manager. Because I'm such a smartass s.o.b.

Patrick,

I received an annual inspection letter regarding my property stating that I had some "violations"

The first violation stated that my lawn was in need of mowing, which had been mowed 10 days prior and was not able to be mowed due to the ungodly amounts of rain we'd received. In addition, my lawn was technically not in violation as the HOA handbook and guidelines state in the last sentence of section 3.15 article B "Lawn height shall not exceed eight inches in height." Upon measuring my lawn height it was discovered to be 6" in height which is well within regulations. Given that it didn't rain over the weekend I have since mowed the lawn. With the amount of rain we've had, I would expect a little more common sense and courtesy from the person or party responsible for the inspection would at least know the correct guidelines and before pointing out a violation that did not in fact exist.

It was also noted that I needed to paint my garage door/trim and my front porch post. Both of these were painted in 2012 prior to buying the house. The front porch post appeared to be in good shape, there was some fading and wear that appeared on the garage door. I have painted the garage door and trim, and for good measure painted the porch post.

Lastly, it was noted that I needed to remove rust from my chimney cap. Again the person who performed the inspection may not have been aware that the chimney cap is made of copper and is a non-ferrous metal. Being that copper can not rust, this "violation" should be considered null, and inspectors should be properly trained and aware of building materials, their metallurgical properties, and HOA guidelines. 

In closing, the one valid violation of painting the garage door/trim has been rectified and you can close out my case. 

Please feel free to contact me at ***-***-**** if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Tom Cancelleri

Update on the HOA issue. I called the property manager to verify he received my letter. He said yes I did, I spoke to my inspectors about the lawn height and asked that they actually measure, and I understand why it bothered you since there was no lawn violation. I also spoke to them about the chimney cap and told them about it being copper. Thank you for addressing the paint on the garage that quickly. 

I also told him that I'm not one to leave my property neglected and if something needs to be fixed I will keep it maintained, and that the garage paint wasn't violation worthy but could have used a quick coat of paint so I did paint it. 

I don't have a HOA to deal with (no one knew what a HOA was in 1970) but, there are times (like now) when I do wish we had one.

We've just had some new people move into a rental house two doors away in the last month.

Between the police coming to quell a domestic dispute, drinking parties in  the front yard, (there are 3 dogs protecting the back yard) two refrigerators sitting in the driveway for two weeks while the cars are parked on the lawn, and the bonfires in the front yard. I'm ready to form an HOA and approach the owner of the house about evection of the renters.

Short of calling the cops every day or so, what can be done to make people conform to the otherwise quiet, respectful, neighborhood we've known for the last 45 years?

Damn white trash!

Rog

I don't have a HOA to deal with (no one knew what a HOA was in 1970) but, there are times (like now) when I do wish we had one.

We've just had some new people move into a rental house two doors away in the last month.

Between the police coming to quell a domestic dispute, drinking parties in  the front yard, (there are 3 dogs protecting the back yard) two refrigerators sitting in the driveway for two weeks while the cars are parked on the lawn, and the bonfires in the front yard. I'm ready to form an HOA and approach the owner of the house about evection of the renters.

Short of calling the cops every day or so, what can be done to make people conform to the otherwise quiet, respectful, neighborhood we've known for the last 45 years?

Damn white trash!

Rog

there's always somebody with no respect for others. Unfortunately there's probably not a lot you can do about it unless they are in violation of the law. Maybe several neighbors should have a discussion with the landlord?

and if all that fails, .45 ACP^_^ 

Edited by ColinF

Damn white trash!

Rog

Here in San Jose, Calif.  About ten years back they passed two ordinances.  One is you can't park any cars, trucks, boats, R.V's, Campers or motorcycles on the lawn area.  Even if you want to make your front yard all concrete it is still in violation to park on what would be considered the yard area.

The other is a blight ordinance.  No tall weeds, no refrigerators or other appliances,  can't pile up garbage in the front yard or things of that nature.

We also now have community service officers (cops with out guns) that now can be called to take care of these types of things or abandon cars, leaving the police to deal with the stuff that is more in line with their training.